A bit O/T ... UK PC vendors ...

Page 4 of 4

If you want to properly DIY it, you could just make the PC from parts you've bought yourself. That way you could customise it to your hearts content.

you've bought

Very true, but there is somewhat of a black art to performance tuning parts that work well together. Also, some companies (such as VoodooPC) work with ATi and nVidia to make some customisations to the cards.
al wrote:

Look at www.woc.co.uk. They will put all the parts together, test it, and guarantee it. Always 15% more expensive than the cheapest, worth every penny. Bought literally hundreds of machines off them for various companies over the years. Tried cheaper places. always end up going back for teh service...

Thanks for the link - they look quite good, but they don't seem to allow you to choose very high spec components or to drop the monitor. Might try emailing them later. Their cases look a little plain too :(
If you're putting PCs into businesses, then good service and cheap prices for reliable machines is invaluable. They look like this is their main market though, rather than the high end.
al wrote:

Look at the price list. You can pick'n'mix anything you want. I agree cases are plain, but they last teh course. I have a 7 year old rack mount case here under my feet...its so extraordinary if I ever get burgeld, chances are it will get left behind.

Not sure what the highest spec motherboard is - as I said, check the price list.

I would back that too -- I used to use them to supply all the PC's to my previous company. All kit made up to my spec. On the rare occasions something did die, replacement part recieved next day, without any hassel or the need to send the dead part back for testing first.
On one occasion I was temped to buy a disk drive from Simply because it was 15 cheaper than WoC. Drive was DoA, and had obviously already been used. It took a day on the phone to get it sent back to Simply. Never made that mistake again, and stuck with WoC.

They'll let you completely customise, but you might need to email or phone. IME, they'll even order in things which they don't normally stock.

Possibly -- I used them for exactly this reason. I needed machines which were rock solid. I still have some of their machines in service, and they run with uptimes limited only by reliability of the mains supply, but easily more than a year.
--
Andrew Gabriel

....!
from
<<snip>> Most politicians should *BE* in cement, but most cement has too high a self-image to be involved n politic(ian)s
--
flippant Jet

(Q: What politician would you most like to see in a cement overcoat?)

I wonder would they do as a good lime substitute? I mean they do kinda ooze when you squeeze them ...! Prescott of course already has the sharp sand in his cheeks ready to go ...