A bit O/T ... UK PC vendors ...

Page 1 of 4
Very tenuous DIY link here in that I'm looking to DIY myself a new PC ....! I know there's no dearth of opinions in here though about most matters from politics to cement ...
I've been looking around recently for a one around about the 2k mark. As I already have a monitor, I just want to buy a box with top end bits in it. Panrix have always come out good in the past in magazine benchmarks, but I found their website to be thoroughly crap and the choice very poor. Dell are starting to look more towards gaming with their top end systems, but they ruin it by not letting you customise it enough. Also, their prices for upgrading RAM are enough to make the average person faint!
VoodooPC in Canada (www.voodoopc.com) have caught my interest however. Their machines look the business, can be fully customised exactly the way I want (and without monitor!!) and North American currencies are pretty weak. My only worrys are faults and returns.
Any thoughts?
al wrote:

For top end stuff I usually use <http://www.overclockers.co.uk/ - good selection of great components, good service, and good prices. 2k will get you something *amazing*.
--
Grunff

They don't have a very good reputation in uk.comp.vendors (actually, that's probably a better place to ask the original question). There's stuff in there right now about them, and the URL of an article too.
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
Bob Eager wrote:

I don't follow that NG, but that really surprises me. They are just about the one supplier who's never let me down.
--
Grunff

May just be a bad review ... just had a look at their RAM prices - they be daaaamn cheap!!
al wrote:

Not just the RAM - they're pretty cometitive on CPUs and motherboards too.
--
Grunff

Look back in uk.comp.vendors, on Google Groups...
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

Good point ... *dumb grin* ... Telewest don't cache a great deal of postings ....
Grunff wrote:

I don't follow it either, but it doesn't suprise me one bit, judging from the problems a colleague of mine is having with them.

Just read that ... it doesn't speak too highly of them! Thanks for the pointer.

I think there`s been a report on one of the computer news sites as well as mentioned earlier in uk.comp.vendors (re: overclockers)
2k is a LOT of money to spend on a machine that will be worth maybe 400 in 6 months time. Buying mid-range now you`ll probably only spend ~400 to 600 which will allow you to buy a whole new computer in 6 months time at a higher spec compared to what you`d likely spend 2k on now for no additional outlay above your original estimates.
As you`re only looking for a box, just build what you want at a fraction of the cost by sourcing decent quality components yourself :-p
Do you know what platform you want to aspire to ? 32bit ? 64bit ?
Bear in mind that the shape of computing WILL change markedly in the next 6 months given the introduction of 64bit chips (which are already available).
Six months old is probably a good age at which to buy into this "new" technology, because the initial teething problems should have been ironed out. Cutting edge technology has rough corners.
-- Please add "[newsgroup]" in the subject of any personal replies via email * old email address "btiruseless" abandoned due to worm-generated spam * --- My new email address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it ;-) ---

I'm not planning on selling it while it has any value (like my current 5.5 year old system!) so it doesn't matter what it will be worth in a few months time.

Again, see my previous comments in other posting regarding this. I could build a good enough system I'm sure ... but I want a great one ;)

Clearly 32bit ... XP is going to be around for a LONG time, as will all the 32bit apps that go with it. 64bit will start on the server and IMHO take a while to settle down. I think more like 3 years before it makes any inroad into the home PC market - that is with the 64bit OS's and apps to make any benifit from it!

In 6 months time, there will be more new tech "just round the corner". I appreciate that 64bit is the future and a big step. I just don't think it will make that much of an inroad during the expected lifetime of my new system.

The Athlon64 is already available, and runs 32bit code quite happily from what i`ve read. When 64bit code becomes more widely available, it will probably start to cut a wider path from the 32bit field.
Try www.theinquirer.net for more info - it seems to carry quite a few articles, and also check the link below - a Pentium IV vs Athlon64 shootout
http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040106/index.html

Yes, just saw that while browsing around. http://www.alienware.co.uk/ are a UK company that do the type of machine I'm interested in. Trouble is, the spec I put down (almost identical to the VoodooPC one) came to 2800!! A little rich for my blood ... :(

Thanks for the links, will have a read.

Interesting, as I have bought a lot of stuff from them over the past year and always found them to be fast, reliable and good value.
Colin Bignell

good
Noticed there is www.overclocker.co.uk also - both shops seems similar!

www.overclock.co.uk is affiliated to tekheads, which was IIUC started by someone who was once worked for (part owned ?) overclockers.co.uk
Customer service is done right at Tekheads though, which is more than can be said from their previous gaff ;-)
overclocker.co.uk is run by aria - a company with an unenviably bad reputation.

Another one! So we have:
www.overclock.co.uk www.overclocker.co.uk www.overclockers.co.uk
So is the general consensus that first and last are good ... piggy in the middle bad!?
Colin Wilson wrote:

Now that's one company I do have personal experience with, and would definitely recommend anyone to avoid them. They make GUS look like RS.
--
Grunff

Wow ... that's quite a reaction from a few fronts - I did a google on them and found *a lot* of negatives! Looks like those guys don't have a lot of fans.