A better cat trap?

We recently had to fit a catflap to our garage door due to differences of opinion between our established cat and our new dog.

Perhaps not too surprisingly we're now having problems with "visitors". I thought it would be easy to set the catflap to "in only" and trap the bugger(s) but this was the result.

've never had a high opinion on Staywell cat & dog flaps but they prety much dominate the market. I've lost count of the number I've had to replace over the years. This one didn't actually break, it just sort of falls apart under the slightest pressure.

Any suggestions of ways of trapping our unwanted visitors? I reckon a good dowsing with a hose will help to disuade them from repeat offending.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

If your cat is micro-chipped, you can buy cat flaps that only open for that chip. it worked for a neighbour of ours with a similar problem.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Just a decently constructed cat flap would be an improvement.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

So doesn't your new dog "disagree" with all the other cats? In my limited experience cats are cowards and once discouraged by a dog will avoid it's domain in the future.

Reply to
pete

Isn't that catflap fitted backwards- i.e: shouldn't the controls be on the inside?

FWIW we had to stump up for the infra-red Staywell flap for our cat after the magnetic one failed to keep other cats out. It works OK, but isn't cheap, and the batteries in the collar key only last a couple of months.

The other big manufacturer is pet-mate. Have a look at

Chris Bartram

Yep, but he can't get in the garage. The cat flap is there so that OUR cat can get in under cover to eat. Our cat won't come in the house at present.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

My pint sized, very old, cat still stands his ground and hisses if dogs or foxes venture on to his patch. That's if he's awake of course, which isn't very often.

Reply to
stuart noble

There is a distinct possibility that this is designed behaviour: imagine the bad press if a cat could get stuck in the flap without being able to break its way free.

Reply to
Jim

Would a Flo Control be sufficiently sensitive?

Owain

Peter Parry

You really need to sort out the dog/cat relationship, or find the cat (or dog) another home. I've never had both, but friends who have introduced a dog where other pets exist were told to make sure the dog knows it's at the bottom of the family pack, e.g. you make a fuss of all the other pets before the dog, and then they will get on fine.

Unfortunately, it sounds like your dog has already asserted it's higher in the pack than the cat, and that may be much more difficult to resolve now.

Also, don't try trapping other peoples' pets as a punishment. As you don't live in the garage, there's no logical reason it's yours as opposed to theirs for any cat.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes, what I meant was why doesn't he keep all the other cats out of your garden? That way you wouldn't have to worry about other cats trying to use your cats catflap

Reply to
pete

The front garden is unfenced and he has no access to it.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

We're working on it but he's a rescue dog with pre-exisiting behaviour patterns and the cat is being more than a bit pathetic at asserting his rights. The cat was raised with dogs so it's not as if he's not used to them, it's just that now as an adult he seems unable to deal with a new dog.

This other cat is clearly invading our cat's and my territory. I reckon a bit of a dowsing won't do it any lasting harm.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

I've found Pet Mate to be much better, over the experience of teh last 20 years. And they are good (and fast) on spare parts. Not that I've needed any for a while. Small parts were even sent FOC.

For a price, you can get a flap that only admits YOUR cat (if microchipped).

Reply to
Bob Eager

And what a price! We have just bought a microchip cat-flap (we've yet to pick it up). It is generally priced at £75 to £85, but we got trade price through a friend - £25.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

We had exactly the same thing happen - same make of cat-flap too! I managed to catch the cat inside, with a full jug of water :) - it smashed the flap and surround off on the way out, but never came back again.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

have now bought one which works off the microchip, so the collar no-longer matters.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

It's a really good excuse to buy a big Super Soaker...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Supersoaker?

Huge