9mm SDS bit

Where can you get a 9mm SDS bit? The normal suspects Toolstation, ScrewFix, Machine Mart don't list 'em. I need a 9mm for those knock in wall cable tie fixing thingies. 8 mm is too tight, 10mm is clearance.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Did you Google? Many hits here. How about this one?

Dave Plowman (News)

Probably quickest to get a 10 and trim it with an angle grinder

NT

Reply to
NT

I though they used a 6mm or 7mm drill bit?

The Medway Handyman

If you drill with the 8, and then use the 10 to widen out without hammer action, you'll get a smaller and cleaner 10 than you do by drilling directly with the 10. (Depends what type of brick you're drilling in to though.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

I have the Toolstation ones. The inner shaft is 5mm dia the fins

10mm. An 8mm hole in sandstone is just that little bit too tight. If you don't support the gap in the top when driving in it'll split and the "give" in the fins means you can't drive them flush at the back.

I much prefer 'em over ordinary cable clips, but it was a bit of pain not having the right sized drill.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

As 8 was too tight I did drill with 8 then widen with 10 but with hammer on. One 10 did go too deep but I found found that an offcut of cable tie down the hole gave suffcient interference. B-) I half considered using that as "the method" but it was pushing "it's a bodge" button to hard.

Brick? The only bricks here a recent additions. The main construction material is rough sandstone lumps, first piled up 300 years ago. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No, after looking at the main suppliers and only seeing one mention of 9mm and that was in a large set I came to the conclusion that it was rare beast. I probably won't need it now for a while, I'll just keep my eyes open in the sheds or see if I have two 10mm and attack one with the bench grinder (though that only has ordinary stones...).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Dave Liquorice wrote on 22/05/2010 :

Which will not even scratch the tip - you will need a green grit wheel.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

You can also use a diamond disc in an angle grinder, long as you go easy so things don't get too hot.

NT

Reply to
NT

Try calling into an electrical wholesalers next time you pass one. Quite often they have an Armeg or DeWalt display behind the counter with all the SDS sizes there.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

The TLC ones are deffo 6mm. I agree, much better than ordinary cable clips.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

fact 9mm bits seem plentiful and cheap. As to the prattish comments about grinding down 10mm bits with a diamond blade in an angle grinder words fail me. Some people seem to be determined bodgers.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The CTCTP ones have much shorter fins and judging on the ratio of head size to shaft and fin a 6mm hole would be correct.

The FXCTP100B (on clearance) are much nearer the things I have from Toolstation. Though that says 7 or 8mm hole.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice