Subject Author Posted Replies

Have the smelling salts standing by...
..because many on here will be incandescent. Nearly 70 social housing flats will be made available, as the PM apologises for the government's failures.
143
143

tv aerial masts
Hello, I am some distance from the tv transmitter, so I may need a masthead amp. I can get into the loft to install an aerial but I'm not brave enough to go on the outside and put an aerial at height....
37
37

Removing residue from my stone and brick fireplace
I have removed all plaster from my fireplace but layers of residue have been left what is best way to remove this without damaging original stonework...
3
3

R. Cott. 15
Levelling joists for flooring. On 400mm spaced joists and 22mm chip flooring. How much *out of level* can I get away with? Worst found so far is about 4mm! I don't want to power plane as the floor...
9
9

Corrugated sheet shelter
I'd like to fix a piece of 2m x 1m corrugated onduline type sheet to a wall - act as something approaching shelter for my bike. It'd be into a corner, with the shorter end meeting the house wall, and...
16
16

Aldi router
I only have the occaisional need for a router but at 30 quid. the Aldi one looks like it could be a good buy. Does anybody have experience with this o ne? In particular, what size cutters does it take...
16
16

Using address labels when marking up.
When marking up on resistant or dark surfaces, i.e. glass, laminates, dark veneers it might help to cut up address labels and first stick these across the intended lines maybe at 1ft intervals. The...
1
1

birds nests in the chimney
Is there a time of year when it's more humane or even more legal to sweep a chimney which has had birds nesting in it which have blocked it? I don't know what the birds are, maybe jackdaws. Tim w
8
8

Fascias and Soffits Replacement Pricing
I wonder if someone here in the know might be able to comment on a quote I just received for PVC replacement of all timber roofline material. The property is a large bungalow of cruciform shape so...
12
12

cladding tests
cladding tests to begin tomorrow, not just from grenfell, but for council towers across the country So looks like it could turn on the alteration from this zinc FR composite in the initial 2012...
21
21

Selling a vehicle by auction
Does anyone here have experience of selling a vehicle by, say, BCA, as against a smaller local vehicle auction site? I'm obviously interested in seller's total fees and costs and whether it is just a...
28
28

Drains: Maximum length of underground 110mm soil pipe?
========================= ================ ========================= ================/ Thanks for the replies. I can't find anything in the Building Regs Part H r egarding maximum length. This...
6
6

Drains
I shall look into that, thanks. Although the plastic rods cleared the blockage really easily.
6
6

How it's done up here
bloody drugy ..... one of my jobs.... A man, 50, has been charged with drug offences after flames caught hold in a seventh-floor flat at Nethercraigs Court
6
6

Insect screens
Those of you with good memories will recall that I have asked about UK suppliers of aluminium framed insect screens for windows. I've previously purchased the "loose mesh and velcro" types, but...
7
7