Subject Author Posted Replies

Paint for sleepers?
Can anyone suggest a Matt black paint for old sleepers? They do have a bit of creosote, but limited tar. I'd like to stick to a black paint rather than creosote etc. They'll be used for steps and...

cladding for thermal insulation
Apparently there is a fairly wide air space behind the cladding they have put on the tower blocks. How then can it function as thermal insulation? There are no fire breaks, it is said, so convection...
6
6

Buying domestic wiring cable.
Where's the cheapest place to buy 300m of 10mm^2 flat twin and earth? I need some for an experiment, don't care if it's used, as long as I don't need too many joints. 6 x 50m lengths would be fine....
9
9

Mortar and Concrete - excess cement
When mixing mortar or concrete is there any reason not to use more cement than necessary? If I use a standard mix I will end up with surplus cement which won't keep. If I use more cement, I might be...
11
11

Yet more Ikea cr*p
Help me retain my sanity. Wifey has her eye on a bathroom corner cabinet from Ikea. So far, so good, as although the nearest shop is 100+ miles away, they do have a more local collection point. On the...
19
19

DIY made necessary by...?
How much of your DIY is done to improve something, and how much is done merely to counter the ravages of time? Bill
21
21

Large tub/tank to soak large pots - X-post
I have some large pots with shrubs, trees, etc. I would like to be able to stand them in a container of water so that I can thoroughly soak them when required. Needs to be deep enough to come a...
40
40

What choices are there in fire resistant insulation?
Original description in tower fire thread was of polystyrene glued to plywood, now know tower to be different. Polystyrene or PIR foam sandwiched between sheets of OSB does describe Structurally...
28
28

OT: Recent Tests on High Rise cladding
If we are to believe the media, every sample of cladding (or do they mean the insulation or the cladding in combination with the insulation spaced so as to create a chimney effect?) has failed an...
17
17

[Grenfell] in the news today...
One of the buildings found to have unsafe cladding following checks prompted by the Grenfell disaster is... Burnham Tower. You couldn't make it up.
7
7

OT Grenfell tower fire. More details.
Grenfell Tower fire - Wikipedia
5
5

OT: No DSS / Housing Benefit Applicants
http://tinyurl.com/ydbhu5f4
14
14

Power drill or SDS that will run at roughly a fixed RPM
Anyone know of a power drill (mains would be OK) that can be mounted in a 43mm mounting collar and be set up to run at a fixed rate - something like 60 to 120 RPM - rather than one which slows down...
62
62

Vacuum pump oddity
I picked up a freecycled vacuum pump and motor a few years back for a round-2-it project for a vacuum bagging clamp to apply veneer to wood. I'm starting to put the system together for its first job....
3
3

Today's DIY
Cleared the drains. (Again - need to order a TV survey) Fixed the gland seal on the stopcock (packed it out with PTFE tape) Cut a bigger hole in the back of the kitchen cabinet to make access to the...
71
71