Subject Author Posted Replies

Will a magnet have an adverse effect on an alarm control box?
I mentioned a while ago, fitting a lifting flap where boards cross a doorway. This has now been done and the flap, when up, rests against a metal alarm control box. Unfortunately, when resting, the...
6
6

Ok Dave (and others) - what's this (genuine question)
(on display in a museum, with no indications of what it was - in any language) https://www.flickr.com/photos/156191305@N04/35460626462/in/dateposted-public/
12
12

Torbeck Valve
Had to replace cistern valve. The original ball cock arm had a copper and this had been bent into an 's' shape to go around the syphon box but new one was straigt hard plastic so the answer was a...
2
2

OT: Stupid Bloody Android
Actually ES file explorer , but as it comes pre-installed, the average numpry would think that it's part of Android. 1) Whilst trying to create a new folder I accidentally selected "file" and it...
69
69

Grenfell and gas pipes.
On Newsnight yeaterday, a Grenfell estate resident (but not a resident of the tower) said that there were unprotected gas pipes running up the stairwell. This was also mentioned earlier by residents....
228
228

OT: $7.5 billion Kemper power plant suspends coal gasification
$7.5 billion Kemper power plant suspends coal gasification. Owners of the plant made the decision to burn natural gas exclusively for now. "The Kemper County plant was supposed to be a cutting-edge...
14
14

health and safety
a chap fell off a roof near here but survived.....he has a light fawn suit on ........
4
4

Yet more on Grenfell and panel testing
On the BBC News this morning: The original specifications for the cladding on Grenfell tower was for zinc panels, but the specifications were later changed for aluminium panels, saving £293K. and...
52
52

Ants! No ants.
10% boric acid, 90% icing sugar, saturated solution absorbed into a cotton wool ball on a sheet of plastic on the kitchen floor. 3 or 4 days of ant smorgasbord, and now ... no ants.
6
6

Useful tip or old news?
I was repairing the "trigger" of my litter picker today. It has a large "full hand" trigger as opposed to a single finger affair and the plastic had given way in the middle of the trigger resulting in...
14
14

OT: California says key ingredient in Roundup weed killer can cause cancer
No apologies for the cross post, I think it was justified. Glyphosate, the key ingredient in weed killers such as Roundup, will be added to California's list of chemicals that can cause cancer....
25
25

OT: Solar 300+ times as toxic as nuclear...
"If solar and nuclear produce the same amount of electricity over the next 25 years that nuclear produced in 2016, and the wastes are stacked on football fields, the nuclear waste would reach the...
36
36

Unusual shower fixing
Hi In the attached pictures The plastic connector should push onto the Pipe connector that comes out of the wall and the threaded end attached to the shower hose. The plastic att achment no longer...
10
10

Strange loss of sound
This morning there was no sound on my TV system. this is a Samsung TV connect5ed through a Bose Lifestyle System. I also have a Fire Stick, this works fine. I tunes the TV and that works as well,...
14
14

emergency light
was at a car boot sale today without my glasses and bought for a Fiver an non-maintained emergency light ...any ideas what I could use it for? .....
76
76