Subject Author Posted Replies

smart meter readings
why are scottish gas asking for meter readings when I have their smart mmeter ? .....
3
3

cobblers
If there happens to be any here. Google fixated on steel toe-cap boots, so useless. What is the function of the steel strip axial to a shoe above the sole and below the sort of insole soft base inner...
27
27

How do you make a letter box cage on the cheap?
Local hardware stores (West Birmingham) don't even have it in stock. Online (*azon, *bay) they go for £10+ but can I make one myself? The door letter home is about 4cm thick.
16
16

Servicing an unvented cylinder
This is rather overdue. My plan is to check the safety PRV, clean the filter in the combination valve, check/adjust the air pressure in the expansion vessel, and check the operation of the over-temp...
19
19

Another insulation question
Pulled the ceiling off the porch today (lathe and plaster) to get at some wiring behind it. Discovered joists, floorboards above, the odd central heating pipe, and absolutely no insulation. Bathroom...
13
13

contactor switched by remote contacts
Second try as first did not seem to propagate: Is there a readily available contactor or relay that can switch an immersion but be triggered by contacts from a remote relay? I guess that means its...
24
24

Useful hack for broken rivet.
I have a Roman blind that I took down for redecorating and needed to put back up. One of the clips that hold it up broke. It is a pressed steel cam that locks it into place, riveted to the mounting...
8
8

Bi-fold Doors/windows
I have been watching a few building You Tube videos lately and have seen several extensions being built where the brickwork is dutifully cavity insulated only for a massive opening left on one wall...
4
4

Analogue to DECT converter
We have DECT phones, with the base station plugged into the analogue phone port of out router. We also have an old rotary dial phone, but the phone sockets are still connected to the master socket,...
14
14

Making good
I have been building a couple of tall bookcases with cupboards below. I used melamine coated chipboard from B&Q. To prevent drill bits travelling to far into the 18mm boards, I employed collars with...
19
19

Smart meter initialisation query
Had two smart meters installed on Wednesday 1st February. They supplied a bluetooth based home display but it's too far from the meter to the nearest point I can find so it doesn't work. (It's a flat...
3
3

Kettle won’t stay on
Our previously reliable electric kettle has taken to turning itself off a few seconds after turning it on. If I hold the switch down it boils as normal. It’s turning itself off long before and steam...
29
29

Australian Radioactive Capsule
I have been interested in the furore over the lost capsule, but it did make me think about radioactive sources found in the home such as in smoke alarms. Now I know these are quite small and...
10
10

Road planings on top of concrete
im expanding my driveway and am planning on using road planings. The current driveway has a concrete slab within it and I wondered if i can lay the new planings over the top of the concrete?
1
1

OT: Landline phones with bluetooth?
I've just received an email from Plusnet reminding me that all their prices are going up on 1st April by over 14% (inflation plus 3.9%) This will bring the price of the Anytime package to over £10...
29
29