Subject Author Posted Replies

Alternatives to white coated hardboard, or should I stay with the same?
The 'ceiling' of our little boat is made of sheets of white coated hardboard. It's badly stained by the previous owner smoking and also has a few mangled bits so I'm looking to replace it. Should I...
29
29

How difficult to replace a nozzle on a modern (ish) Oil Boiler
Hi All, Apologies for not being around much, life keeps getting in the way! We have the builders in (the job is too big for me, calls for experience I don't have, and time I don't have). A couple of...
4
4

Basement cinema
I have a decent sized basement and I want to use part of it as a cinema room. I'd welcome comments and feedback. The space I plan to use is rectangular and measures 9 x 5 metres with a ceiling height...
25
25

OT: Fun with mild dyslexia
I received an e-mail message from Tesco today, with the subject: "Our pick of the best caramel recipes". At a glance, this looked like: "Our pick of the best camel recipes". Too much news of ISIS,...
8
8

Conservatory roof replacement.
Hi all, The talk of cast iron soil pipes reminded me that Mum would like to replace the corrugated translucent fibreglass conservatory roof with something that was cleaner and more translucent...
2
2

OT-Reputable scientists getting nervous about IPCC
Further evidence that climate models overstate global warming - Watt-Logic
14
14

Where to get/buy thin vinyl sheet like gloves are made of?
I think the subject just about says it all! I want to make some stretchy waterproof covers and the ideal material would seem to be (to me) the thin, stretchy vinyl that gloves are made of. I do want...
37
37

dim lights for corridor
I'm rewiring corridor lights, it will have pendants with LEDs or fluorescent bulbs. But could i also add dim lights for night time - what sort of bulbs? Decades ago I hotwired a diode across a switch...
44
44

Gurgling and hissing noise.
I have my hot water set to come on twice a day for 20 mins. After about 15 mins there is a gurgling and hissing sound coming from around the pump/Y-valve area of the pipework in the loft. It is a...
3
3

1930s cast iron downpipe fixings - what are they?
Some numpty (not me) seems to have dropped a long length of hardwood down one of the downpipes on my "new" house - presumably when clearing the hopper some years ago. I need to get the bottom...
44
44

As on topic as anything else here..
Same problem nothing works
15
15

OT: Scottish tidal power can generate HALF our power requirements
32
32

Monitors turning off when one of them is unplugged
OK so this actually work related but it has me stumped. The IT unit at a school has new wiring (1 year old) and on one work station bench there are about 12 or so computers and monitors all powered...
18
18

OT 1TB flash drive for £8.50 on Ebay
A friend of mine emailed me to say he's bought a 1TB flash drive on Ebay fo r £8.50 and can't get it to work. The seller has offered to refund 50% of his payment and let him keep it!! I've not bought...
15
15

Chromecast
I've been given a Chromecast unit by someone who found it too much hassle and just duplicated features on his TV. I understand it used to work OK for him from an iPad. I've had it in its box for about...
6
6