Subject Author Posted Replies

Thermlite wall - guide for max load (radiator)
Whilst someone has mentioned these horrible things, I have to specify a radiator to hang off one: Wall does have an advantage - dog legs: | | ====| RRR | | ========= RRR is the rad. Wall is 2.4m high,...
3
3

water and electric sharing floor joist notches ?
Just thought I'd check- there are existing notches in my floor joists with water waste pipes going through, there's no reason not to put electric cables along the same route is there? But ethernet...
2
2

Alarm question - PIRs, window contacts or optical boundary?
When I re-furb'ed my last house I fitted window switches to all accessible windows and external doors, so didn't need to bother with PIRs. The current house already has a "professionally installed"...
42
42

The curse of DIY
Hours of DIY today but in the final minutes of clearing up I cut myself (very minor) and I've got blood over the surfaces I've just worked on. Do all DIY jobs end up with blood?
6
6

Magnifier lenses II
I ordered this, which the seller failed to even send, judging by the tracking and then the seller seemed to just disappear from Ebay. I got refund from Paypal, just that the wasted time was...

OT: Compelling Usenet Newsgroups
Haven't spent that much time in Usenet for a while and having recently re-subbed to I'd be interested to know what compelling 'general interest' newsgroups (eg. uk.d-i-y) people are using these days...
6
6

FAQ: Which Dash cam
For those periodic questions on "Which Dash Cam would you recommend", there is a review in Oct 2017 Which? Magazine. Here's the results table (pdf): (the complete article isn't available as pdf at the...
6
6

Soaking thermalite blocks before use??
Hi All, My wife came home yesterday, and wasn't happy with the builder's blockwork. Specifically she felt that the mortar wasn't bonded to the blocks properl y as he hadn't soaked the blocks before...
15
15

OT: Bombardier
Brexit supporters have said a trade deal with the US would go a long way to replace lost trade with the EU after we leave. And implies the US would be queueing up to make one. That may be - but only...
23
23

Great fixy
So, perhaps a little late to the party but have just used the hair drier fix for my honeywell remote thermostat after failure of the lcd screen. Wow! Perfect description led to successful result....
2
2

unFIT solar
solar farm with its own battery storage and no FITs ...
78
78

Aldi invertor welder
20-140A, 5kg, electrodes upto 3.2mm, now £69.99. Any opinions on it? NT
6
6

Thermoplastic road lettering
We've got some thermoplastic letters to mark our office parking space. It falls on me to fit the stuff. Never done it before - is it reasonably straightforward? I've got a standard plumbing propane...
6
6

OT: Why dogs don't need toilet paper
"Ms. Warman notes, "Although we share most of our DNA with great apes, there are some striking anatomical differences between ourselves and our nearest relatives, most notably our vertical posture....
16
16

What foundations for beam floor
Hi All, We've got the builders in, we don't have an architect or project manager ov erseeing the work, and our experience with a lot of this stuff is that we'v e seen it on Grand Designs or 100K House...
5
5