Subject Author Posted Replies

Why we dont use methanol fuel.
20

Digging a narrow hole 1m deep in a confined space?
I would welcome some thoughts and ideas from the panel... I am planning on replacing our lean-to conservatory with a proper (regs-com pliant) extension and knocking through from the house. To keep...
7
7

WD-40 anecdote
Posted without comment, but this came from a fellow tribologist from the sort of family that would be expected to have very good long case clocks as heirlooms. "We inherited an old grandfather clock...
37
37

OT: Wood burning stove question
I inherited a WB stove with this house, but no instructions. I lit it today for the first time and realise that I don't know how to set the controls, and without knowing the make/model I can't search...
29
29

Electrical question: cable size and earthing for outbuilding
I have a 2-wire overhead sub-main to a large shed 40-45m away. The house earthing is TN-C-S (with an earth rod, ref other append) and the shed earth comes from a local earth rod; there's an RCD in the...
4
4

TN-C-S with additional earth rod
My house supply is TN-C-S but also has an earth rod. It's a dedicated supply that runs overhead for some distance before diving underground to get into the house. An earth rod with PME seems to be...
4
4

Junction boxes underfloorboards
Hi All, I went to run the cable for my bathroom supply and discovered the sockets o n this level were fed from the floor above. I had assumed the electrician had run the ring on the same floor....
38
38

Eureka moment
Anyone fitting PIR foam insulation will know that the aluminium foil tape used has an inbuilt determination to annoy the unwary. Firstly the adhesive used is stronger than the foil. Secondly, having...
2
2

Don't put your specs in the overn
Fixing an old broken pair of specs with epoxy it seemed a fantastic idea to accelerate curing by sticking them in the oven at 45 deg. C for half an hour. While this certainly cured the glue, I noticed...
1
1

Metal polishers
HI ... anyone know of a good metal polisher I have a US product, its has 2 hydrofoil wings, these are made out of billet aluminium ... here is pic of one of them (new) After good polishing I had then...
1
1

DIY speed signs
I have just had an altercation with a bloke in charge of a portable speed sign. The type that light up and "show" your speed and then either give a happy or sad face. It showed me as doing 32 MPH and...
10
10

Frost free upright freezer problem. Long Post
I have a Bosch full height upright freezer that is (meant to be) frost free. It has the evaporator at the top and a fan blows air around the cabinet to freezer the contents. Normally as good as good...
21
21

Kettle descaler?
Does anyone here sort of 'make their own'? I buy glacial acetic acid off ebay, because the missus uses it (well diluted, of course) as fabric conditioner, although it doesn't really condition it...
20
20

Aquapanel screws - very disappointed.
7 years ago I installed a shower using Aquapanels, I used Aquapanel screws and thought how clever that they can make screws out of ceramic - rust free and quite expensive. I decided to use them to...
1
1

How far travelling a Hybrid with no petrol
Had to hand my old corolla into a main dealer recently and was given a courtesy car, a new automatic Yaris hybrid for the day. The petrol gauge was just above empty, so since i had a little running...
141
141