Subject Author Posted Replies

TV tuning problem
Live in North Wales and trying to get S4C ? the Welsh version of Ch annel 4 ? with subtitles as learning Welsh. We can get S4C on the cheap and cheerful Bush TV recorder box but it doesn ?t do...
14
14

Worcester Bosch 420 CDi hot water problem upstairs
Hello All. As per subject line, I am having trouble drawing satisfactorily hot water u pstairs in my house. Downstairs, the kitchen and bathroom hot taps supply w ater that is plenty hot enough....
4
4

Electric wires in conduit?
About 30 years I was helping a mate move into his "new" house. I can't remember why I cut into what looked like a metal pipe or conduit, but I did. It was not flexible. Inside were 3 bare wires, no...
34
34

How to get tar off fireplace brickwork?
Having opened-up a fireplace that's been closed since the 60s I need to get the build-up of tar off the bricks before the wood burner goes in. I've tried a blowlamp, wire brush and scraper but it's...
11
11

Power cut questions
They may be able to take down just one phase... I would have thought a manual changeover would be less hassle than dedicated circuits. (although the complexity can vary a bit with your earthing...
33
33

New kitchens
I'd say go for taking your kitchen apart to glue and screw everything and anything you can. That's, by far, the easiest, cheapest and cleanest option. Otherwise, I actually prefer Ready To Assemble...
34
34

Inner tube repairs - is it just me ?
70Kg ...
68
68

Expanding Polyurethane Foam - Release Agent
I want to squirt some expanding polyurethane foam into a section of mdf box cladding covering some copper water pipes to cut down on draughts (an insects) from getting into the kitchen. Since I want...
15
15

OT: O2 Mobile Broadband
Hi Folks, I have a Huawei E3373 4G dongle that stubbonly refuses to even find the O2 network let alone connect. I'm confident the SIM is correctly inserted as it picks up the SIM's number ok (and is...
5
5

Not having a good day
I have managed to run two people over today. I'll have to take the blame for the first one one matter how daft she was. As least she was not hurt. Second one not my problem - and he needs a new bike...
41
41

three lamps.....one cable
how can i wire three lamp/hanging bulb holders to one cable
18
18

DIY Sous-vide controller
Was lucky enough to snaffle a food vacuum sealing unit from Lidl (£24.99) last week ... It's already impressed the Jethro household (for vacuum sealing before freezing and preventing drying out). I...
35
35

Curtain rails into concrete lintels
This weekend I was tasked with the job of a curtain rail. Having attempted said challenge previously and failed due to being unable to drill holes in lintel and not knowing if there was steel involved...
2
2

Smart meters again
BBC Radio 4, You and Yours... Only had half an ear on it, but... No SMETS2 smart meters before July 2018, more likely 2019 before testing is complete and main roll out starts, or companies risk having...
58
58

Bathroom smell
I have probably mentioned before that we have an en suite bathroom upstairs that sometimes smells - a toilet or sewage smell. Not overwhelming, and not all the time, but there. Never really been a...
8
8