Subject Author Posted Replies

Tailor's tape measure with a loop?
I remember back in the day that waist measurements used to be done with a tape measure with a brass loop at one end. The measurer put the tape around your waist and then fed it through the loop and...
4
4

OT Let's see how many young ones turn up today.
In this case I am referring to the Beavers, Cubs, Scouts and Explorer Scouts and maybe some of their parents from my local area. Last years attendance was appalling. I accept that turning up is...
9
9

Boiler help
I have a license copper lines boiler. It fries up immediately a d then the flame goes out and right back on over and over.. I ha e changed the ignition assembly figuring it was a sensor but didn't...
5
5

OT More on electric cars
An interesting three-part discussion on the merits of electric vehicles: In Defense of the Electric Car – part2 – Watts Up With That? In Defense of the Electric Car – part 3 – Watts Up With...
22
22

Repairing crack in flat bitumen roof
Is there anything better than black exterior mastic (frame sealer) to repair a foot long crack in a bitumen felt roof? The crack is near the edge where there is a lip to control direction of water...
10
10

baxi brazillia 8000s original model, need control knob
the knob on my 8000s has snapped, the part is obsulete, will the 8000s sl;imline knob fit

Help needed: biased/momentary light switches?
I want to replace the two biased architrave switches that control the garage doors with a standard dual switchplate, but can't find any that have the usual white rocker but are momentary action...
35
35

Japanese toilets
Anyone here ever installed a Japanese toilet (not the squatting kind, a combined bidet type), e.g., a Toto "Washlet"? Any thoughts? (and yes, they are bloody expensive in the UK). "Washloo" are a...
14
14

Central heating auto bypass valve - setting?
I've balancing my new CH - noticed the flow and return to the boiler were virtually the same - and the auto bypass valve was set to minimum (0.1 bar = 1m head water IIRC) Closing it down to 0.4 bar...
24
24

How to get two 'pipes' through one round hole?
Is there any 'off the shelf' way of getting two water connections through a single round hole? I want to get a water feed (for something that needs *very* low pressure water) out through the overflow...
10
10

flowbee diy hair cutting ....
Been trying to get a Flowbee at a good price ...anybody used one? ......or one of the copies?
1
1

washers/cisterns
side entry inlet on cistern was slightly leaking. I undid the nut and could see a broken washer so after googling and studying I bought some fibre washers and screwed it all up and water rushed out of...
17
17

Transistors... It has been a while.
See here: Question is: why would you want to put a variable resistor between Z and Y, and not a fixed value one? I could do this in my sleep years ago, honest...
9
9

help with pub quiz needed
It's my team's turn to be quizmasters and it isn't considered good form to just get the questions from a book or off of a website. I need two rounds of ten questions each. I am thinking of a round on...
77
77

Potterton Netaheat 80e - I think the gas valve is stuck - what next?
We have a venerable Potterton Netaheat 80e which we only turn on occasionally when it gets particularly cold, it does have a clock controller but it runs on expensive LPG and we have a wood burner...
5
5