Subject Author Posted Replies

GU10 halogen.
Visiting TLC today, I was told they are running down all stocks of halogen GU10. Including the so called Eco versions. So soon will only stock LED.
6
6

Replacement dimmer switch.
I'm trying to replace the 5 incandescent candle bulbs in a chandelier with LEDs. The only problem seems to be the dimmer switch. A switch suitable for LEDs is deeper than the current dimmer and I...
11
11

Energy switching: Hidden charge
Until a couple of years ago I'd never switched. Now I've done a couple and it seems that both companies charge the daily rate for the day of the switch even though there will not have been any...
2
2

Ash in cement,Ratio?
Its that time of year again when operating the multi fuel stove banked up with an anthracite based briquette product means there is some Ash to be disposed of. Wood ash is no problem as it can be used...
18
18

OT Migration and housing shortage.
What we all know already. A new report from Migration Watch said it was 'false and misleading' for Sajid Javid (pictured) to say two-thirds of housing demand has 'nothing to do with immigration'.
54
54

Soot like build up on radient grills of a gas fire
I've been get these odd balls of what looks like soot appearing on my gas f ire grills. I've taken the grills out and hoovered it out, plus I got a sma ll hose attachment which I pushed out the small...
3
3

Pipe insulation
It seems quite hard to get 6mm pipe insulation for 22mm pipe. Even Armaflex don't go that thin above 15mm pipe. Found some (Alfaflex red sleeved): But I wonder why it's so uncommon...? If you use...
2
2

Tarmac driveway?
We had a major water leak under the pavement right in front of our driveway one night a couple of months ago. A failed valve meant that it took them over 3 hours to finally turn the water off. Our...
25
25

OT: A lovely example of (sort of) JIT
I came across this recently. I thought it was a lovely efficient operation. I went almost *under* it every day on the way to and from school, and never knew it was there. I thought this was...
1
1

LED bulb failed - and replaced free after 3 years
Nearly 3 years ago I bought several 13W LED bulbs from Messrs Ryness lighting in Old Compton St in London. They were expensive, £11-99 each, but I was reassured to see that they had a 3 year...
20
20

OT: Honda and the EU
Reports on the news yesterday that Honda have concerns about UK car production if we don't reach a free trade agreement with the EU. Basically, they import many parts needed for car assembly here from...
108
108

Prop planes over Scotland
(Aberdeenshire) Quietly standing in the garden yesterday, hanging out washing, when I heard an unusual noise and, looking up, saw a four engine prop plane fly over the village from the north, then...
22
22

Phone mute - how does that work
Waiting to get through to Plusnet's support, they play music whilst waiting. If their is any noise in the room, the music mutes, however they also break into the music to make a regular voice...
4
4

Fixing a back box in lath and plaster wall
We have a double socket about three feet above floor level, set in a lath and plaster wall. Never been right since we moved in, the only fixings being screws through the back box into the laths...
4
4

Eternal-september ... Again
Has ES gone tits-up again? It's been running ok since the changes of a few weeks ago. I'm suddenly being asked for username and password. Cheers
8
8