Subject Author Posted Replies

British Workers Wanted - Channel 4
from last night, still on catch up (I guess) Didn't tell me anything that I didn't already know TBH 1) Benefits on offer to the "wont work" are far too generous if an unemployed person can say "I...
462
462

Mystery fins on bathtub drain grill
I just bought a perforated drain grill for my bathtub. It doesn't have a ho le for a screw to go through, but it's got a small (4 cm diameter) three pe talled metal flower shape on the bottom. What's...
4
4

OT More on housing.
2
2

Patchy ceiling - overboard, lining paper, or ???
Just started stripping the anaglypta paper from walls and ceiling in the first room we're tackling. The stuff on the walls is coming off reasonably OK but underneath is some painted 1930/1940s paper...
5
5

Worcester or Worcester Bosch
Some (combi) boilders seem to be marketed as Worcester and others as Worcester Bosch. Is there any difference or is it just presentation? (I know Worcester are a Bosch company but that alone doesn't...
2
2

Vaillant AAV Q.
Having changed my expansion vessel, inevitably (after the inhibitor was added) something sprang a leak :( In this case looks like the AAV which sits behind (and as part of ?) the pump. The one I have...
9
9

GU10 halogen.
Visiting TLC today, I was told they are running down all stocks of halogen GU10. Including the so called Eco versions. So soon will only stock LED.
6
6

Replacement dimmer switch.
I'm trying to replace the 5 incandescent candle bulbs in a chandelier with LEDs. The only problem seems to be the dimmer switch. A switch suitable for LEDs is deeper than the current dimmer and I...
11
11

Energy switching: Hidden charge
Until a couple of years ago I'd never switched. Now I've done a couple and it seems that both companies charge the daily rate for the day of the switch even though there will not have been any...
2
2

Ash in cement,Ratio?
Its that time of year again when operating the multi fuel stove banked up with an anthracite based briquette product means there is some Ash to be disposed of. Wood ash is no problem as it can be used...
18
18

OT Migration and housing shortage.
What we all know already. A new report from Migration Watch said it was 'false and misleading' for Sajid Javid (pictured) to say two-thirds of housing demand has 'nothing to do with immigration'.
54
54

Soot like build up on radient grills of a gas fire
I've been get these odd balls of what looks like soot appearing on my gas f ire grills. I've taken the grills out and hoovered it out, plus I got a sma ll hose attachment which I pushed out the small...
3
3

Pipe insulation
It seems quite hard to get 6mm pipe insulation for 22mm pipe. Even Armaflex don't go that thin above 15mm pipe. Found some (Alfaflex red sleeved): But I wonder why it's so uncommon...? If you use...
2
2

Tarmac driveway?
We had a major water leak under the pavement right in front of our driveway one night a couple of months ago. A failed valve meant that it took them over 3 hours to finally turn the water off. Our...
25
25

OT: A lovely example of (sort of) JIT
I came across this recently. I thought it was a lovely efficient operation. I went almost *under* it every day on the way to and from school, and never knew it was there. I thought this was...
1
1