Subject Author Posted Replies

Everything has a purpose - except...
On most laptops, they have a molded on the power cable close to the plug, where it plugs into the laptop, a small C-clip which clips onto the cable diameter perfectly. Except I have never found a...
6
6

OT - Chocolate blocks
I must have led a sheltered upbringing. Despite an interest in all things electrical and electronic from the age of about 9 and nine years in Radio & Television servicing after I left school, it...
13
13

"Instant Karma"
By chance, I came across this video on Youtube. I think it's funny. I could get used to watching this stuff. "Instant Karma"
1
1

Toilet manufactured incorrectly?
Hi all I fitted a toilet pan last weekend which sits flush against a stud wall wit h the cistern and waste the other side of the wall. Since I could get acces s to the pipework behind I fitted the...
12
12

Dowsing for pipes ...
Seems to be an enduring myth ... and yet I've seen it done, with "success" ???? Engineers from the majority of the UK's water firms still use divining rods to locate pipes, it emerges.
15
15

Grr.. stupid bl**dy plumber
Went to have a look at my daughter's CH boiler that is losing pressure. Changed the PRV but that didn't help and after watching it for a bit it was clear that the pressure was rising too high. Went to...
9
9

Flymo VC330 Repair
Replacing belt in VC330 for friend. Stripped it all down - removed motor assembly. Problem: I noticed that the base plate assembly "wheel" - which connects to the motor with the drive belt will not...
4
4

sticking back fireplace tiles
My fireplace is made of tiles - stuck over a former which seems to be a mix of concrete and iron strengtheners. The tiles were originally stuck by bedding in some type of cement product that is very...
11
11

OT: Ping squeezebox players?
Hi all, I'm asking here because I am aware we are a diverse bunch of practical people (after posting elsewhere by mistake). ;-) Just a background question really to anyone who plays or has had...
27
27

Shower tray - which one?
I am after a 1000x900 rectangle shower tray at a sensible price. As the dimensions are less common, the choice is somewhat restricted. There are quite a few "acrylic capped stone resin" ones available...
12
12

OT: Who allocates house numbers in UK?
We live in a narrow one way lane in a Hampshire town. All the houses only have names making it a nightmare for delivery drivers etc. This is aggravated by most sat navs and mapping systems including...
75
75

Wiring immersion heater
Wiring immersion heater - how important is it to use special heat resistant flex? Also, will 1.5mm2 do for a length of just over 1m in open air, or is 2.5mm2 required?
18
18

OT Child "groomers" at it again.
Using tasers. Councillor Des Flood issued stark warning and said some schools and parents are being kept in dark about menace

OT: Adam has been busy?
(about the Wadsworth constant) Lifehacker is the ultimate authority on optimizing every aspect of your life. Do everything better.
2
2

Bathroom floor
Our current floor is tongue and groove but with significant gaps and the boards are slightly convex. SWMBO would like something better than the existing carpet tiles but I realise I need to overboard...
10
10