Subject Author Posted Replies

Continuity between neutral and earth
Hi All I have broken into a ring main to extend it to another room. Essentially cu tting the return from one socket and then connecting each side of the exten ded ring to one of the cut ends. I test...
28
28

Bad smell from washing machine
We have a 4 year old Samsung washing machine (Eco Bubble Quiet Drive WF0804W8E I think it is called). It has been used every couple of days or so since new without any problem. When we came back from...
44
44

Fuses, dimmers and energy-saving light-bulbs
I have a dimmer, with a slow-blow T1.6A fuse; the fuse blew when connected to a lamp with an energy-saving light-bulb. Is that normal behaviour? Daniele
14
14

[OT] Maths GCE O-Level text books from 70s-80s ?
I did the AO Maths - it was mostly additional material (IIRC stuff like more probability, matrices, calculus) - some would have given a softer start to A Level. Next time I'm up at ULCC, I'll nip into...
69
69

Balancing radiators - differential across radiator ?
Most sites recommend a differential across the rad of 12C - but I wonder if this was aimed at higher flow temperatures of yonder times? I manage with flow of 55C most of the year - so what would be a...
32
32

OT. Why you get Dehli Belly on cruise ships
Cheap Asian cooks in the Galley One here for Bignal to excuse. A Muslim school has been given the inspectorate's lowest raking, after a series of failings including not providing toilet paper for...
21
21

OT Tour de Yorkshire 2018
Could in not be run somewhere more appropriate - like say in France.
9
9

1 cement 4 sharp sand to reinforce support for RSJ?
Today I found a steel RSJ sitting on only one brick. Luckily this time it seems to be an engineering brick with portland cement. I want to reinforce it, is 1 cement 4 sharp sand a good mix? With a...
9
9

Traditional Materials?
Where I live I have seen a cycle that goes like this: Extension built - using timber for things like facias. A few years later the house owner has them replaced with uPVC, why don't builders use uPVC...
20
20

OT AMWaters

Bubbled up worktop
I plan to fit a new stainless steel kitchen sink in the new year. The current sink is an Astracast-type sink (composite) which is 90cm long. The new ss sink will probably be a Franke Ascona ASX 651...
17
17

Mice and cables
from my research at it seems that mice chew cables to get through a hole so maybe make them a bigger hole to get through and seal around the cable hole? I'm feeding cables under a floor to the cellar,...
11
11

Remove mono lever cartridge from vertically mounted tap
I've got a mono-lever tap on a bathroom basin which is mounted vertically o nto the porcelain (the basin is one piece with a "shelf" integrated into it ). I'm presuming the tap fitting came with the...
2
2

expanding foam incident
It turns out the non-empty can doesn't *always* self-seal when you take it off to clean the gun. Fortunately I was doing this in the basement & had already put a piece of scrap plastic down on the...
19
19

Bakelite smell from washing machine?
There was a smell of Bakelite from our washing machine this morning. At least, I think that's what it is. It reminds me of Veroboard, and old light-brown PCBs. Can I assume that one of the components...
10
10