9" sq 3mm thick old floor tiles

hi, anyone know where i can get tiles of the above decription to replace broken ones on my room floor.

its a 30 yr old ex council house... they seem to lay them throughout to cover the screed underneath.

thanks

Neil

Reply to
Neil D.

not surprised theyre broken. Finding matching tiles is usually a hopeless task. Sometimes tiles can be removed from less visible places, but I've not tried doing that with floor tiles and would not be confident.

How broken are your tiles? Tiles can be epoxied.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Why?

What, vinyl ones?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

if they were vinyl the OP wouldnt be looking for replacement tiles, vinyl flooring can be bought anywhere. If they ARE vinyl, what is the op asking here for?

Not tried epoxying vinyl, unlikely to be suitable.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The tiles could well be vinyl, or vinyl asbestos. Old tiles are hard to find, vinyl or otherwise. I assume he's asking here in case anyone knows a of a source of them.

Why would the tiles being vinyl stop the OP asking here?

I should imagine that for a floor tile to be replaced that it might actually work. I shouldn't think lime putty would be useful, though.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Sorry for the waffling. Are they vinyl tiles? If so, you might be better off re-laying the lot. Use a tile scraper (on a handle) to get them up, being careful not to damage what's under (may be latex levelling compound, which is soft-ish). When the floor is dead smooth, no bumps anywhere, lay new tiles. Start in the middle of the floor, not up against a wall, and lay some tiles "dry" to see how they'll work.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

They are probably vinyl asbestos given their age and the cracking. Very common in council houses of that period.

AFAIK you can't get them anymore because of the health risk during manufacture. Don't panic, they are as safe as houses once made.

Fill the voids with self levelling compound & lay carpet, laminate, tiles or whatever on top.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

probably best not to sand or drill them though

Reply to
Alistair Riddell

The problem with replacing them, singly, is that often the ones around the one you want to replace are *not quite as thick as they were when laid*..... nice.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Any vinyl tile supplier can supply offcuts of vinyl the right thickness to fill a gap, so why would anyone need to ask about it if theyre vinyl?

umm, no

As has now been said, anything solid to fill the gap would work.

NT

Reply to
meow2222