9" angle grinder with a diamond blade that is stuck on.

I have a 9" angle grinder with a diamond blade that is stuck on I have tried WD40 and hitting the flange with a hammer and also a nail punch. I have bent one angle grinder spanner trying to get it off, as have tried hitting this and also using a extension pipe but to no avail, any suggestions?

Reply to
Housemartin

Have you considered the possibility the you are trying to undo the nut in the wrong direction?

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

Have you got an SDS drill ? See if you can loosen the disk by "drilling" onto the angle grinder spanner. You could also try heating the thing carefully with a blow-torch and see if differential expansion will loosen it. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Another angle grinder :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Bugger. Beat me to it :-)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Stronger spanner bigger punch and bigger hammer

Tony

Reply to
TMC

I had this happen once with a cheap grinder. We locked the clamping ring in the vice and turned the whole grinder against it - which just broke the locking pin... :o(

Reply to
Steve Walker

I had the same thing happen when I wanted to change my 4 inch AG from metal to stone cutter. I ended up using a mole grip on the wheel (It didn't fracture that easily) to lock it in position and jam the mole grip onto the guard, so that I could use a hammer to unscrew the nut that held the wheel on. It was a bugger to undo though. Just run the wheel, under power, and see if it revolves clockwise when viewed from the nut side. If it does, then it has self tightened the nut.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

If you're saying you can't undo the nut, I've had problems in the past with the cheap spanners supplied by manufacturers. I did get one particularly "stuck" nut off by using a pair of Robo-Grip pliers to hold backnut and nut. Make sure you're turning the right way, and at the risk of grandmother and eggs, you are using the spindle lock, aren't you?

Reply to
Steve Firth

My elderly Wicks takes an allen key in the centre of the spindle to hold that against the normal peg spanner. Surely all such fastenings are conventional right hand thread?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hmm, all the ones I have had (B&D Pro and Bosch) have had a sindle lock button that has to be held in and yes they should all be RH thread but I've seen people tug the wrong way and sometimes the brain just fades about which is the right way to turn.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I don't have a solution, but I certainly feel for your plight. I bought a =A350 9" grinder from Screwfix and the nut locked solid on the first disc, I bent the spanner trying to get it off. So I took it back and got a replacement which got through 2 discs before the same thing happened. So that went back too and this time I got a refund.

I then got a =A330 9" grinder from Argos and went through one disc, then the second one locked solid. Got a replacement and the disc stripped off the grinder leaving a permanently locked, unmovable nut. So that's going back for a refund too.

I don't know if it's just that they are cheap grinders or if it's the locking mechanism, which seems to be the same on all of them, that is useless.

Reply to
clangers_snout

I have a Metabo grinder of this size. It has never had problems like this, or in fact any problems, even with heavy use.

You've made two additional trips to Screwfix and three in total to Argos by the time this is over, plus a further one to find something new.

£50 for the original plus the cost in fuel and time for the replacements is considerably more than if you had paid £100 at the outset for something that works properly.
Reply to
Andy Hall

I have a Wickes grinder of this size. It has never had problems like this, or in fact any problems, even with heavy use.

£40 for the original, no cost in fuel, no time for replacements - is considerably less than if I had paid £100 at the outset. I have something that works properly.
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Have a look at the 'AEG fixtec nut' (google), should solve the problem.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Many thanks for all your answers I will be having another go tomorrow and yes I was trying to turn it the right way using the spindle lock! Cheers Martin

Reply to
Housemartin

Strikes me you didn't tighten them properly - allowing the rotation to do it for you.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have a 9" Bosch where you need to turn the lock nut over as the centring spigot is too deep for diamond or other thin cutting discs.

I have a different issue: where the spindle lock is damaged making life difficult when changing discs:-(

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The mains switch failed on my Wickes one -- it got stuck ON. Swapped for a new one, which I haven't needed to use much since.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Clamp the disc in a vice?

Reply to