Subject Author Posted Replies

How to harden leather
I have three leather bicycle saddles. One I bought new about ten years ago, the others I picked up second-hand. The older ones are great - they are hard and supportive. If you rap them with a knuckle,...
18
18

Wing mirrors on cars
Why do we still have wing mirrors on cars? They should be little screens powered by cameras, to reduce drag. Sports cars even do away with door handles, but still have mirrors stuck out!
731
731

How to share a photo so youse all can see it?
Hi All, I have a lovely photo of an isolating switch single gang double pole probab ly). I want to get it off the wall, but can?t see how to (no visibl e screws). I was going to share a photo in case...
34
34

shelf life of paint?
Hi, Trying to start the new year with a spring clean. My garage is not particularly weatherproof and I've got some old tins of paint in there. Would the frost and cold weather affect the paint, or is...
4
4

freezer repairs?
Hi, SWMBO said the freezer stopped working and would not get cold.We had the old freezer as a spare in the garage, so we were able to use that to save the food. What is likely to have failed or could...
7
7

Another photographic question...
Digital this time. I've discovered "tram lines" (well, a single tram line) about one pixel wide running vertically through a series of images I've taken at night using long exposures. No sign of the...
12
12

Seeing colour in a B&W film..
I have been watching an occasional old film on 81 (Talking Pictures). This morning there was a short BFI B&W kids film on (The Christmas Tree), from 1966, with kids involved in journey taking a...
40
40

Are women just sexist?
Since I put up a donate button on the Gridwatch website*, 138 people have donated Only 3 of them were women. Can someone explain why, aginst all the teachings of the politically correct femisnists,...
67
67

Stair Calculations; calculation check please
I'm planning a step down from a utility lobby into our garage (there is a solid fire-door at the top). I want the minimum intrusion into the garage, as it's narrow and the car won't get in if the step...
15
15

What's the latest with Part P, and what are the options?
I am planning to replace the existing fuse boxes with a modern consumer unit in a slightly different location to where the fuse boxes are now, removing a sub-main, and extending many of the existing...
3
3

Massive cooker cables - how to terminate
This is more theoretical at the moment. When the kitchen is tiled, I'll be fitting a 90cm wide cooker (induction). Looking at some idly in the shop, I noticed a Smeg (probably not a brand we'd get) -...
9
9

DIY tarmac repairs
Dear All, Am contemplating repairing some tarmac along the edge of a pavement running along a border to my front garden. I haven't seen a recent post on this sort of topic. What products do people...
7
7

Is cavity wall insulation frowned upon?
My mother-in-law recently moved house. Her old house had cavity wall insulation, which she had fitted about 5 years ago as part of one of these government energy saving schemes. As part of the move,...
22
22

Radiator
Radiator comes on very hot when the boiler is turned on, they goes virtually off. Tried bledding it but it still goes cold. If I play with the control blue it sometimes goes very hot again but never...
7
7

40 Kw. 3 phase Alternator much too noisy
Evening all. In my workshop I have a Lister 4 cylinder diesel, air cooled 3 phase Altern ator I think it must only have two poles as to get 50 Hz it seems to run fa r too fast and makes far too much...
4
4