Subject Author Posted Replies

Installing shower tray with upstands
Installing shower tray with upstands - this seems to be a right bastard of a job. According to the destructions, you are supposed to install cement board down to the floor, then chip away 5mm from the...
12
12

Name for a beam made of metal and wood
What is the name for a beam where its "core" is made of a "zig-zag" of metal and the top and bottom surfaces are made of (ply?) wood. Or is that just bit of fake news, a product of a deranged...
8
8

OT forged in fire censorship
On Blaze TV there is a series of programs called Forged In Fire In each program 4 blacksmiths come into the studio "smithy" and are given 3 hours to design and forge a knife blade using a variety of...
6
6

Laser Printer deterioration, normal?
2 laser printers have sat unused for about 1 & 2 years. Both printed flawle ssly. On re-use they both have abysmal & unusable print quality, the contra st is shot with grey patches all over the place....
14
14

Maintenance of block of flats
This is really a legal question but someone who frequents this group may ha ve knowledge or experience of this issue. I own a flat (apartment) in a block of nine in London, UK. There are some r epairs...
3
3

Hard skin
Long story short, I've got very hard skin on my feet which can be a discomfort when walking. I've tried the missus scholl rotating thingy with limited success, keep stalling it. A thought occured that...
30
30

OT: Commodity share prices have recovered, so metal thieves must follow
Two blokes in a transit pickup came round the estate yesterday, noticed the skip opposite and took all the metal and bits of electrical cable which means metal prices must be on the up again. Oil...
3
3

Gas cooker ventilation requirements
The Boat Safety Scheme says:- The formula for calculating the fixed ventilation requirement ( in mm 2) is as follows:= [2200 x U] + [650 x P] + [550 x H] + [440 x F], where: U = input rating for all...
9
9

Sealing in double glazing ...
Quite blowy today ... For the first time, I have just stood by a window, and felt a distinct draught coming up from the sill. Closer inspection reveals that the plastic trim strip which was siliconed...
13
13

Network cabinet - fire mitigation
I'm looking to site a small 19" network cabinet in my attic space, near the main ELV cable tray. It will contain some running equipment - PoE network switch, IP Cam recorder, UniFi Wifi controller....
13
13

Howdens nonsense
I'm now too old and unfit to bother with the aggro of fitting my own kitchen to save a couple of grand So I am seeking the help of a professional fitter to do it And (apart from the shops selling...
32
32

Source of clear plastic 100mm tube?
I'm about to update my dust extraction system and would prefer to use clear pipe, rather than soil pipe, so I can see any hang-ups or blockages - are there any sources of 1 or 2 m lengths at a...
18
18

Black is REALLY Black
On BBC Breakfast this morning there was an article about a new material that was black and that absorbed over 99.8% of light (I can't remember it's name), but the comment was made that it's more...
8
8

Sale of Goods - Bathroom refit
In May 2014 I had a totally new bathroom refit - bought from and totally fitted by B&Q. A ladder radiator has started going rusty under the rungs - quite bad in places. I don't know why - there has...
20
20

Tool store rental
The Man Cave project is going ahead. Phase 1 is to demolish the existing garden shed & garage. Which means I need somewhere to put the lawnmower & other garden tools I'll need as the weather gets...
13
13