Subject Author Posted Replies

Insulate article in Green Lib Dem website
I've just published an article about insulation etcera on the GreenLibDem website: I hope i havent made too many mistokes! George I've heard the Conservatives are cutting building regulations 'red...
78
78

Heating A Wooden Shed
I've just had a 6' x 6' shed erected in the garden to house a few stationary engines which I want to keep above freezing in the winter. I do have an electrical supply nearby. What are folks thoughts...
20
20

TOT Coconut water and legal and general
2 mild rants Today I purchased a can of 100% pure coconut water. I recommend it if you prefer the taste of stagnant ditch water. It also had a somewhat overpowering unpleasant smell. Today I received...
12
12

Sealant in a tube rather than needing a 'gun'
I often need small amounts of sealant for which the standard sealant 'gun' and 300ml tube is too big and too clumsy. I've looked a bit but I can't seem to find sealant in a tube like a tube of glue,...
10
10

Ideas needed please
I have an analogue voltage 0-5v that I would like to look via an iPhone and depending on the displayed voltage, I want to manually send a command to toggle a relay contact. Some sort of widget at the...
49
49

electrical expertise please
I want to buy a small 12v diesel transfer pump I won't always have it close to a car to allow me use the car battery. So the question is could the Bosch 12v batteries used in their cordless equipment...
31
31

What temperature does gas freeze at
The box that surrounds my gas meter has got half full of water, which has now frozen solid around the supply pipe and on/off handle (quite why the box doesn't have a drain hole in it, I have no idea)...
38
38

LEDs - getting there slowly.
Just bought some of these. Bit pricey but 140lm/W. Seems to be about right. Pity it's so difficult to get other envelopes in that sort of rating - most BC lamps seem to be 'vintage', 'retro' etc. and...
30
30

Yaesu FT818
Did you really mean to post this here on the DIY list? Go on buy an Icom you know you want to. Brian
3
3

Cordless drills
My 14 month old (and therefore just out of warranty) Hitachi cordless drill (with which I am otherwise very happy) has broke (the keyless chuck is jammed). It's the third one I've had in ~20 years - I...
32
32

Kitchen mixer tap
Can anyone tell me how to remove the hot and cold knobs/taps each side of this mixer? I can remove the neck/spout (grub screw at back) but I can't get into the taps. They are working loose and the red...
3
3

Morecambe and Wise footage
I remmeber them coming to our lab to ask about using our laser cutting which wasn't really suitable. An old Morecambe and Wise film from 1968 has been restored using a groundbreaking new technique.
4
4

Remove wooden fence post 'stub'.
We've got wooden fence post stub which is set in a sizeable concrete lump. It is broken off 'flush' at the surface- a lorry hit the fence. Obviously I could break up the concrete etc but, owing to a...
32
32

ABS Plastics Repair?
Not an urgent requirement- ie I don't have a current repair to do but it it is something that comes up from time to time. To be blunt, I've never found a sure fire way to glue/repair ABS. In...
21
21

Lidl washers set
I bought a pack of 383 assorted fibre and "rubber" washers and O-rings from Lidl as future spares. Noticed later that they are not to be used "in foo d and drinking water pipes". Does anyone know if...
3
3