Subject Author Posted Replies

Does old PVA glue go off?
I've just recreated the classic chandelier drop scene in 'Only fools and horses' (whoops), and now have a wooden chandelier light fitting assembled with clamps, rubber bands and many squirts of PVA...
8
8

One for the plumbers
Confused at Marford. The plumbers flew in and fitted the new boiler, associated heating manifold connections, diverter valve and coupled up the DHW header. For some reason they appear to have fitted a...
13
13

How many people does it take to change a light?
Conversely, in my Dad's day as an LEB engineer: The Engineer (him) would predict the position of the fault in an underground cable (proper Wheatstone bridge stuff then); Labourer or two would turn up...
32
32

Pipework to shower
In my loft I found a bit of a leak. The hot and cold to the shower both have a in-line stop tap and then a non- return valve / check valve. (30+ years old) The stop tap is weeping a bit and other...
13
13

OT: does anyone know of a good UK photography newsgroup?
Does anyone know of a good UK photography newsgroup? Bill
13
13

The Ultimate D-I-Y project
The restoration of Donald Campbell's Bluebird will be featured on 'The One Show' tonight, March 20.
3
3

Castors, Redux.
Thanks very much whoever it was recommended "glide feet" instead of castors for my speakers. Bought a set of these, which work very well; Thread Height: 13mm, 20mm, 25mm. Why Buy From Us?.

Mobility scooter, oddity ...
SWMBO has a little Aquasoothe folding scooter for shopping (we keep it in the car). It is controlled by a two-sided level which operates (what I now know) is a potentiometer. The lever is mechanically...
1
1

Fuse calculation
Which is the best fuse to use (3A, 5A or 13A) with a 1.15kW electric fire at a potential difference of 240v
119
119

NatWest card reader - more
My NatWest card reader dropped into the letter box this morning. So I checked it with my NatWest card, worked fine then some of my other cards. It worked with a TSB debit card, but refused an Halifax...
10
10

Stairlift maitenance.
An elderly friend has an Acorn stair lift. Acorn keep giving their maintenance plan the hard sell. It costs over £400 a year; mind you they charge £185 for a call out. These figures seem very high...
9
9

Smoke alarms, approx fitting costs
Below is going to be made law in Scotland, I already have alarms so they can fekc off! However thinking of some old dear on a state pension or someone on benefits what would be an approx cost to get...
83
83

Mischievous question
I live in a top floor flat. If I turn off my heating, will this increase my downstairs neighbour's gas bill? :-)
22
22

TRV problems
I have the following TRV installed on our lounge radiator and I am experien cing some problems with it and would appreciate any advice before I contact the manufacturer. We control the temperature...
5
5

Never assume anything - still on cooker hoods
I am replacing a cooker hood which had a two part "chimney" which was adjustable and was fitted to touch the ceiling. The (much cheaper) replacement also has a two part chimney with the top part...
4
4