Subject Author Posted Replies

Question about emergency lighting switches
All the corridors and some of the rooms in my office building have emergency lights with what I think is the usual switch arrangement: a two-hole grid plate with a normal switch for the main lights...
11
11

OT: It's not all doom and gloom!
> The number of EU residents in the UK has slumped, new figures published today reveal. More good news: > At the same time, the proportion of non-EU-born residents rose from 65% to 75%. It was about...
22
22

Diagnosing/troubleshooting freezing/rebooting of an Android mobile phone
I asked the following in and the silence and lack of responses was deafening... My Android 8 (Samsung Galaxy S7) phone has just started freezing, sometimes with a bit of screen corruption, rebooting...
24
24

C4 Love it or List it Wednesday.
Watching this right now and I have just noticed a wierd method of mixing concrete for footings. The cement mixer seems to have a weak *mortar* mix and there is a bloke standing next to it with a hose...
2
2

Planned power cuts,
UK Power Networks contacted me to warn me of a power cut because they want to change a transformer which happens to be in a fenced area adjacent to my garden. I got several warnings and it was...
5
5

OT: More things that annoy me...
E-bay message, received today: "Shop your faves". I don't have any "faves", although I might have some favourites. Or I might not. Something being described as "Unmissable". No it's not. I can usually...
56
56

Oh No !
Hi John, Thanks for speaking to us about claiming back £500 credit last week (EON- Next). We just wanted to remind you that you don't have a smart meter yet. We have appointments available though...
1
1

Ping Bill
My current digital TV learning curve has extended to temporary aerial feed glitches! The Manhattan box is up and running as said elsewhere but unreliably probably due to some intermittent aerial...
24
24

OT: The proposed pumped storage scheme at Coire Glas
Euan Mearns discussed the pros and cons of the scheme back in 2018 here would be slightly smaller than Dinorwig (1500MW vs. 1800MW) but a big improvement on the original Coire Glas scheme of 600MW.
57
57

EDF and smart meters
Anyone else getting pestered with increasing frequency by EDF about having a smart meter installed? I see that my EDF MyAccount preference of "Never having a smart meter" had been changed to "I want a...
66
66

Exterior cladding like melamine MDF
I am looking at some flats, not for me but for a relative to buy. Saw a newly built and fairly luxury block today and out on the balcony up close to the white panels that covered the entire outside of...
8
8

Thermoplastic Tiles
I'm thinking about getting the kitchen floor tiled but found these mostly intact. The ones around the edges are broken. I was wondering if they need to be taken up leaving the bitumen covering or...
5
5

Updating HP all-in-one PC from HD to SSD
I have finally plucked up the courage to take the back off my £25 BHF charity shop HP All-in-1 PC and the existing hard disk is fitted inside a metal caddy with 4 screws as per normal practice but...
29
29

D-I-Y but uneconomic
It was reported on the BBC East news today that a school in Cambridgeshire has removed it oil-fird heating system and installed a Ground Source Heat Pump System, of necessary size, bilk and...
12
12

Driving test in an electric car
It counts as an automatic apparently. Bill
131
131