Subject Author Posted Replies

Quick wash on a washing machine.
I only bought my washing machine because it did a quick wash (14 to 18 minutes depending on what spin I tell the machine to do) Are Which talking bollocks? Consumer group Which? says the short cycles...
43
43

Crack problem
Normally I'd gently angle ground round a brick to remove it, how can I get the job done in this case? The downpipe is cast iron and can't be left disconected. NT http://i64.tinypic.com/30k8yts.jpg
26
26

Raised bed against a fence
I have a recently-erected six-foot high garden fence consisting of plastic posts and panels, not dissimilar to this: Alongside this fence I'd like to build a raised bed, some thirty inches high. The...
31
31

Appliance bulb
I bought two of these at Maplins, at 80% off. I now realise I'm not sure what they are for. The last time I went to a 'proper' electrical wholesaler, he told me different bulbs are needed for oven and...
16
16

Pissed off with Printers
I probably only print about 100 pages a year - but usually when I come to use dthe Epson Printer it needs the heads cleaning that then runs dry a couple of cartridges! I absolutely hate the idea that...
52
52

[OT] SMS from TPO to GiffGaff
Anyone else unable to text or call from TPO to GiffGaff? Since the 17 May I've been unable to text The Lad, he's on GiffGaff (O2) and I'm on TPO (old 3G SIM so on EE). It's *only* me to him that fails...
6
6

Realistic to work off scaffold tower for re-pointing work?
Hi, Although not a DIY question, the people on this group may well have relevan t knowledge and experience. I have a flat, in a small block of nine, with three floors (storeys), groun d, first and...
9
9

Electyricity costs
I have just received a notce of tarriff incvrease to 17.51p per unit says this: Wholesale costs 36.30% Network costs 27.59% Environmental and social obligation costs 14.79% Other direct costs 1.19%...
38
38

Miele dishwasher help
So our Miele G5500 tripped the RCD yesteday very early in its cycle and continued to do so. I connected it to a mains circuit not on the RCD and it doesn't trip the fuse but after a minute comes up...
11
11

Drilling aluminium
Son has made a frame to cover his circular fish pond, and now is going to fit several triangular aluminium sheets to make it utterly impervious to his new baby son. He nees to drill something like 15,...
54
54

Computer help to connect to internet
I gave this PC away to a guy for his business it is old and uses win xp, I had it working here with a wi-fi (stick) His son set it up for him and apparently configured as below, can anyone help....
121
121

How do flatbed microwave ovens work?
This is what I think of as a magnetron, as used in conventional microwave ovens with a turntable: It's about the size of a fist. So how do they make them flat under the food cavity in flatbed ovens?...
20
20

Speed of light measurement using a domestic microwave oven
This did make me laugh: "Please note that the resolution given by full-sized marshmallows is inadequate." "The author has tried this experiment with Flake bars, which not only burn but produce large...

Smart Meter
My electricity supplier has recommended a tariff which would save me money over the year, but signing up for it also includes this as part of the T&Cs: "By signing up to the tariff you are registering...
41
41

Heat shrink tube fixing
I'm looking for a shrink tube that shrinks down really tight. I made a fishing rod some 30 years ago and used shrink tube to hold the rod rings on. It was a great success and today it's as good as...
21
21