Subject Author Posted Replies

Undersink electric water heater
I need a small, say 10 litre, electric water heater. But it's a gravity water supply so only about 0.25 bar. Are there models that don't monitor the supply pressure? Preferably A rated, unlike the...
5
5

Recessed Ceiling Lights in Plasterboard
I have just had to remove a recessed (Halers LED) lamp for the first time. I was shocked by how strong the springs were that held it in the ceiling. Some damage occured. It struck me that removing...
7
7

[OT] Computer Tech Support Calls
Those were the days of innocence........ support-calls/ https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/noahc/2006/07/21/funny-computer-tech-
11
11

Smarten up concrete with something
Someone with a large area of thick and substantial, but scruffy concrete in the front of their house wants to smarten it up. They do not want to spend too much money. It would need to take the weight...
3
3

TOT deterring pigeons
On a recent trip to rural Shropshire I was shown the traditional method of deterring crows from crops. A dead crow is staked to the ground. At home I have some bird feeders on a pole with both seeds...
11
11

OT: Oh the irony!
You're having a laugh, right? ;-)
13
13

Mains powered circular saw for a left-hander
Hi All I am thinking of getting a circular saw (185mm) for a few jobs around the place. I am plenty 'handy' enough but for woodworking have tended to stick to hand tools for most of the things I need...
66
66

Something in the air ? Now what ?!?!?!?!
Following ongoing problems with my dehumidifier (put to one side for now) I was doing the "hoovering" (well, "Vaxing" :) ) earlier. It's a 4 year old bagless Vax, and I keep the motor filters clean....
13
13

Is it a culture thing?
Gave my email address over the phone for a fairly urgent document to be sent. They also already had my full name and address which I know to be correct as I've had things in the post from them. Didn't...
6
6

Finding a uncommon nut size
My ancient Tyford close coupled ceramic toilet cistern is held down to the pan by two butterfly nuts that screw on to Brass Bolts extending underneath the cistern. Being about forty years old the...
26
26

Sleeved water main versus new pipe?
Our neighbours have a leak somewhere under their house between the stopcock in the street and their internal stop tap. Insurance company want to internally sleeve the main (which is black plastic)...
4
4

Paint brushes
I've got all the indoor doors to gloss paint and the brush I've started wit is beyond cr@p. It holds very little paint and is developing severe alopecia. Progress is slow and messy. Can anyone...
31
31

Solar panel charging 12V battery - prevent over charging
I'm trying to diagnose a possible problem with a solar panel on a motorhome. The charge controller - NDS Energy Sun Control SC 15-240 - is supposed to charge the habitation battery, and then switch...
4
4

T5 kitchen lighting balast compatibilty
Hi all, I have a run of 3x20W fluorescent under-cabinet slimline strip lights; only the middle one of which is still working. I was about to replace the outer two when I read this warning at the...
7
7

Steam generator iron
I have a Bosch steam generator iron, which has just started emitting dirty coloured liquid. I live in Scotland so descaling should not be an issue. Can I assume it is faulty as I have not put anything...
10
10