Subject Author Posted Replies

The bathrooms have escaped
If you work on the principle that big DIY jobs are never truly finished, they just reach a point where all the stuff that is left to do just gets added to a list ;-) A long rambling tale for them that...
9
9

Re-sticking flat roof felt :(
So, fitted the drip protectors to my storm porch flat root. Luckily (!?!) the cowboys that did the felting before used fuck all adhesive, so the felt lifted enough to squeeze the protectors under....
8
8

British Gas efficiency
I have had an annual maintenance contract with British Gas for my mother's flat for not less than 20 years. The flat has recently been renovated for my daughter including installation of a new boiler....
11
11

New electric regs
A friend has told the new regs are out in July and will be announced through a film shown at cinemas nationwide? He seems to think the 'big' change will be mandatory surge protectors on new builds....
10
10

Basic plumbing
Update. Finally took the plunge yesterday morning and cut the hot water pipe, and fitted the compression stop end. This morning, still no drips or weeping :-) Tempted, of course, to nip it up a...
9
9

fault now BBC 4 HD terrestrial
at 12.07am approx BBC 4 HD (not SD) terrestrial (not satellite) stopped transmitting 'The Fairytale castles of King Ludvig' and started transmitting a card saying 'C Beebies Whoops we have a...
22
22

Nuclear submarines
As with all our nuclear waste no-one has a clue what to do with them when obsolete/redundant. Similar situation at Rosyth. Every nuclear submarine we ever built lies rotting. Similar situation in...
25
25

Good DIY weather ...
So yesterday, I was on roof, finally addressing the chimney flashing issue. Money being tight, and me not being someone who charges for doing things on roofs ("roofer" makes it sound too much like...
9
9

OT: Swansea Tidal Lagoon rejected
Not value for money. At last, someone is beginning to see sense when it comes to the cost of renewables. or The UK Government has concluded the lagoon proposals do not offer value for money The UK...
154
154

Rolson manual ratchet puller
In today's heat, I've just had to give up trying to pull this boat out of the front hedge using a rope tied to a tree and the Rolson 4-ton puller. Basically, I couldn't get the cable to unwind to a...

Need glue suggestions to repair concrete roof tile.
How much is broken? Is it just a corner or is it almost half of it. I remember many years ago seeing somebody do this with a product by Dow Corning called Urethane Bond, if it still exists. It even...
20
20

Cordless mower
For some years I have been happy mowing my smallish lawns, with quite convoluted edges with a Rotak 34. Since I built a pergola in the middle of my back garden I have made my task rather more trying....
15
15

CU for HMO
Current fusebox has several fuseways each feeding a meter then a 2 way fuse box which powers each rented room. Plan is a new CU & new secondary 2 way C Us, the meters will be retained. The question is...
70
70

Redlight flashing and alarm sounding
I?ve just bought a second hand Bosch frost free upright freezer GSU24942GB. I?ve allowed it to stand for 24 hrs. I?ve switched it on and it?s working but there?s a beeping sound and a flashing red...
2
2

Shed Roof Felt
After about 30 years the shed roof needs re-felting - one side has slipped due to the wind and sun. Originally it was nailed with galvanised nails. Where it was nailed it has now torn. Is there a...
11
11