Subject Author Posted Replies

More EDF bill strangeness
I submitted meter readings a couple of days ago for February gas and electricity use. I got a bill yesterday which I paid. Today another bill appeared with this line: Charges Electricity 8 May 2023 -...
8
8

Fixing a shed to the ground
A small wooden shed likely having no floor, in a fairly exposed place will surely get blown away in a gale if not secured. I was going to stand it on an existing old concrete slab where a stable once...
7
7

TV LED puzzler
Panasonic TV red/green LED fine at switch-on Any attempt to change volume/channel/switch off/on makes the LED start flickering which I'm unable to stop. However if I put my hand anywhere near the...
7
7

Best product to replace mouldy shower sealant
Got bad black mould on bottom white sealant in shower cubicle - is there any difference between the anti-mould sealants and if so which is better. Also I've seen that a tape can also be used which...
4
4

led driver question for the electronics experts
My replacement 4ft t8 strip light failed after a few years. I took it apart and other than some slight discolouration on the driver board no obvious reason. I was surprised the driver was so...
5
5

SSD or HDD for video writing
I am currently using an old HDD to record video from x4 cctv cameras, although not continuous . I used to use a Samsung SSD, but that just suddenly failed after about 18 months / 2 years. After doing...
14
14

Access to smart meter raw data
Anyone know whether customers have the right to see the raw smart meter data that the suppliers collect from smart meters? I ask because our latest bill from EDF for the Village Hall still contains a...
18
18

OT: "BBC switch-off to force almost a million households to get smart meters "
Well, they could just lose the split-tariff ability. They are not being forced to switch, they will only need to switch if they want to continue to benefit from the Economy tariffs. Surely the meters...
3
3

Slightly off-topic: plastic kit forum(s)
There used to be a Usenet Group called (still is, but it's dead), of which I was a keen reader. Does anyone know where - if anywhere - the contributors to that group went, to discuss issues? I've...
2
2

TOT: Heritability of Intelligence
Gentlemen, Anyone know of any studies they can point me to online on this subject? Intelligence is a quality which most of us have always assumed was inherited, and my print sources back this up. I'm...
77
77

Cleaning zinc alloy
I have a rather ancient carburettor that had some water in the float chamber and is in poor condition. I presume this is a zinc type alloy and would like to remove all of the zinc oxide in the easiest...

OT: how muc span is in UK.d-i-y?
Often 30-50 messages are downloaded by Tbird and instantly deleted by my kill file. I am curious as to who or what all those messages are?
10
10

Is this thing on?
Testing testing 1 2. Well its stuck on 16th Feb for some reason. Brian
2
2

OT: Chat with British Gas
I am trying to see what they offer in terms of different tariffs, per their invitation, but I always get a screen saying that 'there are technical problems'. This has been going on for over a week....
11
11

External pipe supply for shower
To save time raggling in to brickwork and plastering supply pipes. I would like to bring supply in chrome pipes to a thermostatic bar. I presume an angled bar valve fixing kit would do this ? Any...