8' x 4' Sheets !!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2
Why are 8' x 4' sheets that size ???????
Can anyone tell me
Rich
On 02 Nov 2003, Rich wrote

Probably for easy measurement: make a 4-foot-high pile of them and you've got a cord of wood (128 cu.ft, or 4' x 4' x 8').
--
Cheers,
Harvey

Height of a room and the largest convenient width to carry?
--
*Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular?

Because they are 8' X 4' sheets???
same reason that 10' X 5' sheets are 10' X 5' ...... and 12' X 6' are 12' X 6' ..... etc ...... you can get it larger and smaller ..... it's just that 8' X 4' is the most convenient large size and has become the most common ... probably because it is the largest size that fits in to a standard transit size van and the bigger ones don't.

I'd say the Transit fits the sheet...
--
*If tennis elbow is painful, imagine suffering with tennis balls *

What came first? ...... the egg or the chicken? :-P

The Gene.

Have you been reading Richard Dawkins again? Bad BW!!! ;-)

ROFL !!!

Then Gene's chicken house
Then some bloody caustic soda to sterilise it with...
But to get us a liitle off topic:
The 8x4 is the most likely size to stock through conditioning. Because of the standard spacing of battons at 16, 18 or 14 inch centres, the boards would be the customers preferred ideal. In buisness it isn't what you can buy, it is what you can sell.

Simon wrote:

The egg. Eggs were around long before chickens.
writes

--
geoff

geoff wrote:

About 3 million years.
writes

--
geoff

geoff wrote:

Or even more whatever laid it :-)

Eggs are still round... as well as tuits...

But aren't we going a little off topic here. The OP needed to know what came first, 4' X 2' or 8' X 4' ?
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

"Now, I would just like to point out that this thread is displaying a distinct tendency to become SILLY. Now, nobody likes a good laugh more than I do... except, perhaps my wife... and some of her friends. Oh, yes, and Captain Johnson. Come to think of it, most people like a good laugh more than I do, but that's beside the point! I'm warning this thread NOT to get SILLY again! Right!"

But they had to wait until around million years before they could put a little lion on them. ( even longer until they invented the stamp
On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 12:51:34 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman

Not for Transits. Ford never really had a clue over this. The original Transit was too lightweight to be a useful van for the haulage industry. So they produced the twin-wheel axle version, where the back was now too narrow tro get a pallet into.
At around the same time, Volkswagen were designing ugly square-shaped vans the exact internal size of two pallets, with a side door that allowed you to unload in either order.