8' x 4' Sheets !!!!!!!!

Why are 8' x 4' sheets that size ???????

Can anyone tell me

Rich

Reply to
Rich

On 02 Nov 2003, Rich wrote

Probably for easy measurement: make a 4-foot-high pile of them and you've got a cord of wood (128 cu.ft, or 4' x 4' x 8').

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

Height of a room and the largest convenient width to carry?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Because they are 8' X 4' sheets???

same reason that 10' X 5' sheets are 10' X 5' ...... and 12' X 6' are 12' X

6' ..... etc ...... you can get it larger and smaller ..... it's just that 8' X 4' is the most convenient large size and has become the most common ... probably because it is the largest size that fits in to a standard transit size van and the bigger ones don't.
Reply to
Simon

I'd say the Transit fits the sheet...

Reply to
Dave Plowman

What came first? ...... the egg or the chicken? :-P

Reply to
Simon

The Gene.

Reply to
BigWallop

Have you been reading Richard Dawkins again? Bad BW!!! ;-)

Reply to
Simon

ROFL !!!

Reply to
BigWallop

Not for Transits. Ford never really had a clue over this. The original Transit was too lightweight to be a useful van for the haulage industry. So they produced the twin-wheel axle version, where the back was now too narrow tro get a pallet into.

At around the same time, Volkswagen were designing ugly square-shaped vans the exact internal size of two pallets, with a side door that allowed you to unload in either order.

Andy Dingley

Then Gene's chicken house

Then some bloody caustic soda to sterilise it with...

But to get us a liitle off topic:

The 8x4 is the most likely size to stock through conditioning. Because of the standard spacing of battons at 16, 18 or 14 inch centres, the boards would be the customers preferred ideal. In buisness it isn't what you can buy, it is what you can sell.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

I used to choose a van by whether a 5ft fluorescent would fit. And it wouldn't in a Mini. A Bedford HA van was ideal.

Memories...

Reply to
Dave Plowman

The egg. Eggs were around long before chickens.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

About 21 days ?

Reply to
geoff

Eggs are still round... as well as tuits...

Reply to
Abdullah Eyles

But aren't we going a little off topic here. The OP needed to know what came first, 4' X 2' or 8' X 4' ?

Reply to
BigWallop

About 3 million years.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But they had to wait until around ½ million years before they could put a little lion on them. ( even longer until they invented the stamp

Reply to
gaz

"Now, I would just like to point out that this thread is displaying a distinct tendency to become SILLY. Now, nobody likes a good laugh more than I do... except, perhaps my wife... and some of her friends. Oh, yes, and Captain Johnson. Come to think of it, most people like a good laugh more than I do, but that's beside the point! I'm warning this thread NOT to get SILLY again! Right!"

Reply to
Simon

I wouldn't like to dip bread soldiers into one of those

Reply to
geoff