8' fluorescent problems

replaced tube, replaced starter, replaced starter with one that works in another fitting (can't borrow tube as it is at a customers office and they do not know that I swapped the starter)
The fluorescent tube tries to light but does not power up completely.
The tube is 125w and the starter matches but the fitting states 'use 100w tubes only' is that my problem?
david
On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 15:25:53 -0000, "David Kent"

Is the location cold?
On a large tube especially, especially this weather in an unheated place, it may be difficult to get it to go.
I had one like that and ultimately the solution was to fit an electronic ballast.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 15:25:53 -0000, "David Kent"

It might be!
Is the metal of the fitting earthed?
You could try taping a length of copper wire along the length of the lamp (where it won't be seen) and earthing it.
DG

Probably. 125W tubes run at a higher voltage, and for first few minutes until warmed up, even higher than the running voltage. The ballast for a 100W tube will not be able to supply the normal running tube current at the higher tube voltage, and this could well cause the arc to be unstable.
You can however use a 100W tube on a 125W switchstart ballast. They were designed specifically with that intention. The 100W tube exhibits significantly different cold starting electrical characteristics than the 125W tube.
--
Andrew Gabriel

David Kent wrote:

If you replaced the starter twice and that didn't do it, then that leaves the tube and the choke. Tube is easier to try first.... fixed my garage light. if choke has gone its probably cheaper to buy a new fitting.

thanks for all advice
david