Subject Author Posted Replies

most environmentally friendly way to defrost food
As you will all know I am a committed environmentalist and keen supporter of all the various pressure groups that are presently striving so valiantly to force the ignorant masses to change their ways...
40
40

Dorset-Fawcet
anybody remember that from 1954 ?
4
4

Simmerstat wanted
Many years ago, I had a home-made in-line simmerstat thingy. Basically a 13A plug->flex->little box with an energy regulator/simmerstat in it and control knob->more flex->13A socket. It allowed me to...
5
5

Twitter discussion on "Central Planning"
Tweet: Keith Weiner, @RealKeithWeiner Central planning. The promise: wise honest technocrats can invest in science and business without worrying about profit. The reality: politicized investment is a...

Carpet protector
I bought some thick clear vinyl to protect our nice new carpet from my workstation chair. The trouble is that it slides about. So I bought some 3M tape from Screwfix that I thoght was transparent. It...
11
11

taking an impeller off a vacuum without damaging the shaft
I have a vacuum to fix, the motor seems jammed, there is a nut holding the impeller in place, and the impeller stops me removing the motor. The drive belt goes straight on the output shaft, so I do...
6
6

Occupational Lenses
Im toying with the idea of getting these as a reglaze for intermediate (computer) and reading. Any gotchas? Cheers, Jim
51
51

Re: OT: WTF is this all about?
Trial started today ... A TikTok influencer set a trap for a man who was blackmailing her mum with a sex tape, a jury hears. A TikTok influencer set a trap for a man who was blackmailing her mum with...
2
2

OT: UK government emergency warnings
the fuck could possibly be a life threatening emergency in the UK? We don't get tornadoes. Wasn't very effective their test anyway. I was asleep in the next room when it alledgedly sounded a siren...
28
28

Mains LED
I bought a 30W rechargeable work LED there is no doubt its bright if you look into the light, its not that good as a work light - certainly poor compared to an old square florescent tube work light...
10
10

Emergency Alarm
Is there a flurry of excitement..?
65
65

Pouring concrete slab
A, to me. novel approach to making a concrete slab. Is this Recommended ? MOST RECENT DRY POUR LINK HERE⬇️ DRY POUR CONCRETE WALKWAY: 4 Inches Thick WITH Reinforcement. Anyone Can Do It!...
4
4

How to cut a 10" round hole in 5mm mild steel?
I need to replace a porthole on our little boat because the existing one has bad corrosion around it. So I need to enlarge the hole from the existing 8" to about 10". The porthole is simply mounted in...
66
66

Re: In its first 5 days in theatres in 1976, Logan's Run grossed $2.5 million, a substantial sum at the time.
And more importantly Jenny Agutter got her tits out.
19
19

a queston for our northern brethern
In years gone by, before the advent of alarm clocks, factory owners employed 'Knocker uppers' to rap on employees windows to waken them up. My question is, who wakened up the knocker upper?
37
37