Subject Author Posted Replies

Care of teak dining furniture
I bought a teak dining table (with a veneered top) and chairs from a second-hand shop. They're Danish, about 50 or 60 years old. What would you recommend for wood care? I have at my disposal right now...
8
8

GEO cosy thermostat and Co-op Energy
Hmmm....allegedly free (not clear if that includes installation) with Co- op Green and Cosy July 2020. Reviews on Amazon aren't promising. Potentially compromises network security on the home LAN; I'm...
8
8

Nearly a plumbing disaster
Recently we had a water leak from an old and inaccessible compression fitting underneath the bath. As a quick fix I cut-out the section of pipe and fitted a 22mm push-fit stop-end until I could...
2
2

OT: A small step for fusion
First Light Fusion - a researcher of inertial confinement fusion - has successfully fired the first test 'shot' on one of the six limbs of its newly-constructed pulsed power device 'Machine 3'.
21
21

OT - energy prices - is it time to go for a fixed tarrif?
Looking at the savings that could be made by switching from our long term supplier. The cheapest deals generally seem to be variable, with a premium for a fix and more of a premium for a 2 year fix....
35
35

Re: this outstanding phrase is required just by the way
Looks like a word for word translation of a foreign language phrase into English sans any attempt at translating the idiomatic or syntactical structure. I suppose a language expert might be able to...
1
1

Undergound PMA supply - how to tell which phase ?
Hello Neighbour who is next door but one has to count the pennies so doesn't have broadband. I could let her access my BT home hub via wireless if the signal would reach but the intervening house has...
35
35

Garden spotlight.
Neighbour asked me if I could extend the lead to a garden spotlight he'd bought. Couldn't remember where from. Brought it round to today after having measured how long a lead he wanted. Sounds simple...
11
11

Re: Vinod Khosla and Jack Dorsey: fasting until dinner
Just out of politeness, although some of these postings are sort of interesting, not really the right group for them, If you feel the same complain to Easinews, and block his posts. I'm about to...
4
4

Re: Bill Joy (born Nov 8, 1954) is an American computer scientist.
For Java, yes. I hate that stuff its the access bridge that is needed but in order to be accessible also the writer has to have used certain protocols as well ofr its rubbish. Brian

Documentation for a new build
.. not actually a house, just garage/workshop/study but most regs apply. No plumbing except the oil tank. What do I need to get? - BCO signoff - OFTEC certificate - FENSA certificate - Something from...
4
4

Nailing up a ceiling rose
Well, that was a first. Tried to remove a ceiling rose, and screwdriver wouldn't engage with the second screw. It's too dim to see in the recess, but eventually use the torch on the mobile - no slot....
16
16

Old electric boiler temp control.
I've got a very old Swan boiler,240 volt. I have to make some rabbit skin a nd/or hide glue, which needs to be heated at lower than boiling point tempe rature. I need quite large quantities, to make...
23
23

Problems with valve radio
I have a Bush radio presented to my Grandfather in 1956. He used it daily, but it hasn't been used for at least 20 years, probably nearer 40, and today, it is silent. The dial is illuminated and all...
43
43

man and van quotes
I get a good quote from but they wont let me travel with the driver, so I have to drive behind them (well not quite) in order to let them in at the other end (and to help with the unload). (is that...
17
17