Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: Firstt AP1000 up and running
Unit 1 of the Sanmen nuclear power plant in China's Zhejiang province has completed 168 hours of full-power continuous operation. The AP1000 reactor is now deemed to be in commercial operation.
3
3

Cracks in a traditional ceiling
Is there any reason why cracks in a traditional (early 1900's) ceiling can't be treated, at least cosmetically for the medium term, by using the tape which joins together modern plasterboard sheets,...
50
50

Electrically conductive glue
I seem to have a bunch of laptops where the bios battery needs replacing. On these, Acer and Lenovo, the batteries are mounted within a piece of heat shrink sleeving and connected via a tiny plug on a...
32
32

Super tough materials
The heels of womens fashionable high heel shoes must be made of some tough material!
3
3

Built-in Wardrobe kits - Recommendations wanted
As subject, Built-in Wardrobe kits - Recommendations please, and any gotchas to watch out for. I plan to buy a self-assembly kit so wondering if anyone has done a fairly recent survey of what's...
13
13

Power tool battery revival
Hi all, I have a few 18v Graco (same as DeWalt lithium ion) batteries for my paint sprayer which seem to charge well but then die very quickly. Once charged they show just over 20v on the multi meter....
7
7

OT (semi) : Spreadsheets
Before this month, I have only used a spreadsheet for tabulating my books -- no calculation. [[[ Actually, I'd slightly like to total one column, that of prices - but that is variously in current...
19
19

loose fill roof insulation
Has anyone any suggestions for using a loose fill loft insulation for a single storey lean-to porch. The roof is concrete tilesd and I fitted fibre glass wool to one last week but it was quite...
21
21

toolstation
Hose clips generically known as jubilee clips are useful for all kinds of things. I've bought loads in the past from Toolstation. This time round I needed some more 30mm ish to 40mm ish clips to match...
4
4

AAV valve - height/interpretation of manufacturer's spec
It's kinda a bit after the fact - but I wonder if anyone would mind seeing if they agree with my interpretation of Floplast's instructions. Page 2, lower right dia and page 3 lower right dia says: AAV...
18
18

How to mill square edges
Came across a rather nice video on miling square pieces of wood... using bread: It works surprisingly well with a bloomer... Theo [4/17/2021 update: This video was published when the channel was still...
13
13

Any experience of Grundfos recirculating pumps with "autoadapt"?
Grundfos claim that their "autoadapt" DHW circulation pumps "learn" hot water usage over a few weeks and switch on/off accordingly. I don't think that our usage follows any particular pattern so I'm...
38
38

OT Ikea items at inflated prices
Someone asked me to assemble an Ikea Kullen three drawer chest of drawers f or them. They told me their daughter had paid £175 for it online - I thought it would have been about £50 - 60 at Ikea. I...
26
26

1/4 / 3/8 Makita Roter/Trimmer - practical bit capacity
I have my eye on the 18V battery Makita - finally I have several jobs that I need a router for. The instructions say "3mm plunge max" Just wondered for 1/4 or 3/8 (it will take either collet plus...
4
4

Please identify this chimney vent
Can anyone recognise the make or model of the chimney cap in this photo. Thank you. chinmey cap — Postimages
6
6