Subject Author Posted Replies

Angle grinder guard
Just bought a 9" Makita which I want to use for slabs as well as cutting ou t concrete. The instructions say for cutting discs I need a different guard to protect from sparks. Do I? It's another £25...
3
3

Digital scales
As part of my crusade to clear some of my old junk from the house, I have been using Freecycle and ebay. For the latter I have been having to weigh things to post, so I dug out my old Aldi digital...
62
62

Computer (OT)
I have a Dell Laptop with a Hard Drive of 283 GB I am toying with going for a Solid State Drive and have been looking at 500GB I realise though that I am only using 125GB but old advice was to keep to...
23
23

Pin hole in copper pipe.
I spent a fair few hours over the weekend tracing and fixing a small, but annoying, leak (cold mains water supply to the bathroom upstairs via the ceiling void). The cause turned out to be a very...
21
21

Trailer lights.
Brother - who lives at the other end of the country - has a BMW E46 330t which was pro fitted with a tow bar when he bought it some 8 years ago. Cost an arm and leg. The car lights still work as they...
28
28

Lead water main - not sure what to do
Hi, I'm currently renovating the kitchen in my 1930s semi. The existing water main comes in on a lead pipe that has an old dysfunction al stopcock inline and then a soldered piece of 15mm copper that...
17
17

Concrete fixing screws.
Hi I bought some "Thunderbolt" M8 Torx concrete fixing screws. These are to upgrade from plastic plugs. I am hoping to get a considerable increase in strength of fixing. What do I use to fit them....
8
8

OT: recommendations for computer keyboard?
I need to get a new keyboard but can't find one I like the feel of. There's a company in the States who still make keyboards based on a buckling spring (like the old IBM keyboards) but the shipping is...
19
19

Air compressor expertise needed pls
Hope someone might have air compressor experience to give me a steer. I bought a second-hand AirMaster. Saw it working - all seemed good. Press ured up and the cut out worked at the appropriate...
10
10

Advice on Vaillant EcoTec boiler (maybe generic combi issue)
Hi all, I'm hoping someone might have had this experience, or be able to point me to a better group to post the question. I have a Vaillant EcoTec combi. The central heating works fine, but the hot...
15
15

OSB3 - End grain sealer and EPDM
Replaced my garage roof recently with OSB3 and epdm. It rained before I got the epdm on so I covered it with a black plastic sheet. Unfortunately it was shite quality so some water got through and...

DC adapters
My son has recently bought a Fuji Digital camera (which he is very pleased with) - and is wanting to know whether an existing 3v adapter he has for a Sony disk system would be compatible with it. The...
14
14

Angle grinders, questions & aldi review
Some questions. I was happily grinding my angles when the bearings began to go. The gearbox was hot though the motor was cool, and it felt like an engine that kept mi ssing. It made unwelcome bearing...
5
5

Chinese Refugee Developed Fiber-Optic Technology That Made the Internet Possible
Chinese Refugee Developed Fiber-Optic Technology That Made the Internet Possible When others thought it was a pipe dream, Charles Kao saw potential for transmitting light pulses through glass By James...

Lighting circuit
Simplistically, am I right in understanding that a lighting circuit is linear (not a ring main)? All the action takes place on the red (*) wire. In each room there are two drop cables: one to the...
156
156