Subject Author Posted Replies

Do smoke alarms become more sensitive with age?
My tenant says that the smoke alarm in the hall goes off when she has a shower and that the one in the kitchen goes off when she fries things. The alarms are mains interlinked and about 6 years old,...
20
20

Is it smart to get smart meters yet (/ever)?
Mum (88) had a letter from e-on suggesting she would have to have her meters changed and they would be smart meters, except if she couldn't have them or didn't want them? ;-) I'm pretty sure she's not...
16
16

Server VPS & VDS
Take advantage of a professional and innovative server hosting provider and of reliable and powerful dedicated servers based on Linux or Windows. Our dedicated root servers provide you with the latest...

aldi drywall sander
Hello, Whilst shopping in aldi I saw a dry wall sander. I only had a quick look but it looks like an orbital sander with dust extraction, similar to the difference between an angle grinder and a wall...
3
3

mirror screws: with or without grommets?
Hello, I see screw fix are selling mirror screws with grommets: but Tool station sell screws without. How essential is the grommet? Where can I get grommets separately? Reading the reviews, the ones...
5
5

removing gas hob
Hello, I have a gas hob that I think I would like to replace with an induction hob. Mainly because I think that an induction hob will be easier to clean than a gas one! I'm old enough to remember the...
12
12

Larger capacity DeWalt 14.4V Li-Ion batteries?
I've got some old DeWalt 14.4V tools, some NiMH batteries and a couple of DE9141 1.1Ah Li-Ion batteries. Can anyone recommend a supplier of good quality higher capacity Li-Ion cells, or a way to...
12
12

No more mansize
Kleenex bins 'Mansize' tissues "Kimberly-Clark in no way suggests that being both soft and strong is an exclusively masculine trait, nor do we believe that the Mansize branding suggests or endorses...
91
91

External, horizontal, tongue and groove cladding
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I know you lot will!) but isn't it supposed to be installed groove side down? I walked past a building conversion the other day where they were fitting it tongue side down...
6
6

bike tyre stretching ????
It's the bead that normally determines how well a tyre fits a rim and as they are normally kevlar or steel I find it had to see how it could have 'grown'? Cheers, T i m
25
25

Small traders and PL Insurance
Hi, I am moving into a new age restricted wardened flat and they (not unreasonably) insist that all work is done by traders with appropriate qualifications and insurance. I've currently selected a...
13
13

Builders' Rates - Take 2 ...
It is indeed nice to hear of outcomes on here. All too often advice is given and we never hear the outcome. Brian
14
14

Paging Brian Reay !!!
G is for galoot.
7
7

Bleach , oak stains, and other things
As part of trying to repair the damage caused by the Ex, I have been trying to get some deep black water stains out of some solid oak windowsills. Removing all the coating - sanding back to bare wood...
10
10

Sticky pull chord switch
Bathroom fan, only a year or so old. Now have to pull gently to stretch the chord, let go so it "pings" then I can pull normally to turn off/on. Too hard to explain to SWMBO and guests. Any clever...
14
14