Subject Author Posted Replies

Repair 'putty' for PVC pipe - is there such a thing?
I have a tiny drip leak in a rather inaccessible PVC (or ABS, solvent weld anyway) pipe. Removing and replacing is well nigh impossible without knocking half of the house down. It's a solvent weld...
15
15

HD signal strenght from CP
A few weeks ago, there was an alteration to the frequencies used for FreeView from the main London transmitter, Crystal Palace. Since then, the HD signals read very low on the TVs, and indeed...
60
60

Well worth setting the alarm for Sunday morning
Not. As per the other post. I had a job in Sheffield for Sunday morning. No power to a flat that the customer has just rented. Did the usual stuff over the phone on Friday but was told that the main...
58
58

[OT] Personal Information Manager
For years, I used and liked Lotus Organiser, but no longer have Smartsuite. There are various freeware options available - any recommendations? Not web based, and suitable for a W10 32 bit laptop....
5
5

Google and alarm times.
Tap on Google speech and ask for an alarm on Sunday morning at 8am. Not much to ask. Google cannot do it on my phone.
39
39

How Hot Should a Motor run?
Recently replaced the pump on the hot tub. The new motor seems to run very hot - too hot to touch even though it has a fan and cooling fins. Is this normal? It cuts out after about 3 hours running for...
15
15

LED snubber
A friend has been changing ceiling lamps for LED models and in one room (with a long run of the switch drop cable likely bundled with other cables) has an issue of the LEDs having a low background...
10
10

OT - Cloud Based distribution
I publish an on-line newsletter and would like to offer readers the option to access some lengthy appendices. I would like to just post a link for them to select. I use Dropbox, but I believe the...
15
15

How to cook rice
Hello My names Ian Jackson and I cannot cook rice as I am to thick. I buy it frozen from Waitrose Please can you Help Ian Jackson Brattle House Manor Road Sear Green Bucks HP9 2QU Tel 01494 676841
24
24

Copper pipe failure
All my DIY life i've talked myself out of using plastic pipe and/or speedfit joints where pipework isn't easily accessible. So I was quite pissed off when the contents of our CH system were running...
11
11

OTish - WiFi weirdness ...
SWMBOs lifeline is an iPad Pro (big screen for fucked eyesight). I've just spent 30 minutes messing around because it "stopped working" .. For some reason, despite claiming to be connected to the same...
3
3

Spreadsheet type data manipulation?
Hi all, I've recently bought one of the Lascar USB data capture units (EL-USB-3 Volts): .. and just used it to monitor the discharge of a 26Ah gel battery into a ~7A (incandescent lamp) load (down to...
6
6

OT car wash picture
I noticed this car wash while I was on the 25 bus going down bow road when the tube strike was on. (took picture a few days later) Taken from a 25 bus going down Bow Road east London
17
17

StainedSofa -
My daughter has a sofa that has "suede type" cushions. One of them has become stained due to being sat on when wearing some new black jeans.. Any suggestions for cleaning off the discolouration?
5
5

Current operated switch
Decided to fit a 14.4kW electric boiler to replace our old ageing sold fuel boiler (getting too old to hump hods of coal around the place). I'll add we are off the gas grid. Yeah I know I could go oil...
12
12