Subject Author Posted Replies

one of my newly installed radiators make a very loud noise, if the adjustment is on higher than the number three, it is very alarming as the noise is so loud my next door neighbours can hear it.
Help please
9
9

Lighting circuit question
Just picked up a small (10W) LED pir floodlight. The instructions said that it must not be connected directly to a lighting circuit, but only via a fused and switched spur. It's designed for external...
7
7

Dishwasher spares and tabs ...
Following on from the discussion here recently, on a whim, I noticed that ASDA sell plain own-brand dishwasher tablets at £1.50 for 30 (5p each). Been using them all weekend, and buggered if I can...
18
18

Why not LED bulbs?
We ran out of spare bulbs so I was tasked with getting new ones. "None of that LED crap mind". Now I knew 'florescent' lights set of (photo sensitive) epilepsy due to their flicker, and that the 'old'...
83
83

Where to find this shower curtain rail fixing?
I need to find replacements for this shower rail fixing: <>Two screws hold the plate to the wall, then the cyclinder slides into place & screws onto a threaded protusion on the plate. The one on the...
5
5

Bodge(s) for leaking isolating valve?
Any suggestions please for what to try ? or not try ? to bodger an isolating ball valve by the CH pump which is leaking (not just oozing) past the screw? Background is that CH pump failed yesterday...
27
27

Y Plan central heating circuit
Just been called to my daughter's house as she switched the central heating back on and the heating part is not functioning. Does the Y Plan have a three positon valve ? Anyway this system seems to...
10
10

For Tim Watts - the first use of my tracer
TBH My first attempt actually did not work as the emergency lighting cable that runs alongside the CO cable was live. That will limit the use in an occupied office etc.
15
15

LED filament bulb
I Have just had a LED filament bulb fail, it's an 11W lumilife one. I'm just wondering whether the 6 LED strips could be driven by a home made circuit? That's if I can extract them. Also is the glass...
13
13

Bees nest in the attic?????
This follows on from my post the other week about having a rodent in the attic, which has since been caught and disposed of. Anyway, was up there with an old hoover and some cleaning stuff clearing up...
7
7

Possibly OT printing on line from file
I have a couple of photos that I would like a print of. Having looked on line I am confused with all the detail. I simply wish for a good quality colour print from file. Any recommendations please?
10
10

Using a circular saw on a vertical surface?
Hi, Is there anything dangerous about using a skill saw (I think that's what they're called - normally used for cutting through floor boards and whatnot) up a vertical surface? I need to snip through...
12
12

OT: the smart grid
Being at a meeting yesterday attended inter alia by Greg Clark MP, in which he spoke about future infrastructure, I took the opportunity to ask him about the future of the grid if we all go electric -...
6
6

(Chromed towel) radiator life - 3 years ?
That's quite a result! TBH I have found Screwfix very good at honouring faulty items. However the true cost in your case is the actual replacement, unless you can find an exact replica radiator using...
16
16

Lights and sockets onto one radial
Lights and sockets are usually on different circuits but must they be? Can I have a 35ish meter 2.5mm radial from 16mm RCD running a few sockets and lights in what was once Ladies and Gents toilets,...
8
8