Subject Author Posted Replies

Quooker solenoid coil replacement?
Okay, I've isolated the problem to a burnt out solenoid coil (which is removable) I doubt these are custom made for Quooker but I'm struggling to find a replacement online. Quooker want £95 quid for...
28
28

Draft-proofing Sash Windows
Any recommendations to draft-proof some fairly recent double glazed sash windows? The gaps are very small - less than a mm I'd say - but a fair breeze manages to find its way through. Gapseal <>seems...
17
17

Aerial installation rip offs
Channel Five had an excellent programme tonight, 'House Trap', fronted by Esther Rantzen. It exposed the truly astonishing over-charging by a national TV aerial firm. Most victims were vulnerable...
44
44

Lidl deals - any point getting out of bed?
Lidl are doing a 43 inch smart TV for £199 tomorrow. Is there any point rocking up at 8am and hoping to get one? Or will they have 2 per store which will be bought by staff?
48
48

EICR , smoke alarms and rented flats
OK so not DIY but some here do find such info interesting. I am doing an EICR on a block of 38 rented flats all owned by the same company. One and two bed flats with just a single mains powered smoke...
121
121

Faulty Quooker
A friend has one of these fancy Quookers that provides hot, cold and boiling water all from one tap. The other day something tripped a MCB in the fuse box and when she reset it she realised that her...
35
35

Low mains voltage
I wonder if the neon on the snake oil voltage optimisers I have installed [1] go out when the voltage drops[2]? [1] customers choice and I tried to talk them out of it. But so far I have only had two...
67
67

Schuko socket
I am trying to buy an MK twin Schuko socket (K4152WHI) but it does not seem to be in stock anywhere. I wonder if it has been discontinued. I have contacted MK and await a reply. Does anyone know? I am...
39
39

Re: OT: this is somewhat intersting and horses mouth.
But that isnt up to parliament. That?s what happens automatically if parliament doesn?t agree to some sort of deal and that seems unlikely now. That was never going to be useful even with a no deal...
29
29

Battery pack jump starters
I've got a DB Power DJS30 and although I've thankfully never had to use it yet, Sod's Law dictates that it'll be a wet and windy night if or when I do need it. I have a Lexus RX450h hybrid car and the...
2
2

Topfield PVR
Anyone still using one? Mine still gets occasional use - although I have an HD Humax. The HD on the Toppy failed, and not worth the cost of a new one. And IIRC they are a bit fussy about makes too....
30
30

"Italfard" - source & check my working :)
Just looked at a temperature controlled fan for a friend. It refuses to work from scratch, but giving the blades a quick spin seems to trick it into starting. Vague memories of capacitors prompted me...

Re: End the BBC license fee
I think the closest you'll get is in the aquatic arenas. It depends who's measuring the quality and how. Yes, the more primative of them do seem more attracted to such things. Mostly admin types . I...
2
2

All of a sudden...
Firefox tells me that for several web sites that I visit regularly: "Your connection is not secure. The owner of or has configured their web site improperly. To protect your information from being...
36
36

Is a copper pipe more susceptible to frost damage than a plastic one?
Attached to the garage wall I have a 15" length of plastic mains pipe that is outside and connects to an outside tap. It has not suffered from frost damage in the last 3 years and I don't know what...
15
15