Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: Delivery Fail
I came back home yesterday afternoon, to find a white van with its flashers on outside the house. I asked the driver if I could help, as he was doing the standard action of punching a 'phone screen,...
14
14

Time-delayed switch-off pull switch
I have a 1200W IR radiant heater in the bathroom, with a pull switch in the ceiling. Occasionally I forget to switch it off. Is there such a thing as a time delayed pull switch that automatically...
20
20

CBN grinder wheels
Just bought a bench grinder, which comes with 2 ordinary wheels (aluminium oxide or some such material). I'm toying with the notion of buying a cubic boron nitride wheel, for the enhanced performance...
7
7

OT Aldi Mechanical Timeswitch problem.
Aldi have had a pack of 3 on sale recently and they may still be in some stores, like many such mechanical switches they use a ring of rotating segments which work a switch in a cam action with the on...
7
7

pacemakers, was: How does a thermocouple have enough power ...
Not to worry, ain't no more of them. Back 1975ish there were some installed (afraid I have no idea of the number [a]) in patients because of the issues of standard battery life. This was a short term...

What freezer for garage
We have a totally separate, from the house, garage, and want to put a freezer in it. One place we looked around , the guy told us that upright freezers don't do so well in garages if it gets very...
27
27

OT - Bloody wasps!
Found a queen wasp in the hall buzzing round the light this morning! That's the third wasp in the last three weeks. Fortunately it flew out when I opened the front door. I have no idea where they are...
18
18

patio boarded ramp .
Small patio boarded ramp as become slippery. Any ideas to get over this problem. Jet wash first then what can be used as a preventative cure.
10
10

Hanging a gate
Or fill the holes with what TNP suggests, leaving about 5 - 10 mm at the end. Then collect some of the brick dust you get when drilling the new holes, and mix that with a little mortar to retain as...
27
27

ISS85 or maybe IS585 pin diodes
To carry out a repair of a radio I am stuck for 3x ISS85 or maybe IS585 diodes. Does anyone know of a source please or a direct replacement?
8
8

Amazon gift wrapping
Why do Amazon offer gift wrapping, then include a packing note that says what the gift is? Owain
7
7

Small kitchen fire
Out of interest (considering all the bollocks that has recently been spouted) I have just had a customer on the phone following a small kitchen fire. So this was a grill left on full with the...
9
9

Strange microwave oven problem
It was working earlier today, but stopped heating up the soup inside. We noticed a "hot plastic" smell & the outside (case) seemed unusually warm. The display, internal light, & cooling fan are all...
21
21

Probably OT
I am getting adverts in the bottom right hand corner of my screen . this is when I open Google chrome. how do I get rid of them please?
10
10

Flickering room lights and occasional total power loss. Possible causes?
I've been experiencing very brief flashing of my ceiling lights although they are on separate circuits upstairs and downstairs and while I had a lamp plugged in to the mains I'm pretty sure I saw...
46
46