Subject Author Posted Replies

Another quick electric cooker question (overtemperature protection)
My Kenwood oven has two "thermostats" on the main frame, not the standard temperature controlling ones, but apparently for overtemperature protection. first is open circuit, the second closed circuit....
5
5

OT: BEIS announce closure of solar panel export tariff
Householders who install solar panels after April next year will no longer get paid for their excess power and will be giving it to the grid for free, after government closes energy payment scheme....
57
57

End of domestioc solar power in UK?
Environmentalists also criticised the move to end the export tariff, with Dr Doug Parr, chief scientist for Greenpeace UK, describing it as 'simply perverse'. Environmentalists also criticised the...
91
91

Kenwood oven base element removal?
I have a Kenwood range oven and the bottom element has failed on the main oven. It doesn't seem to remove from the back: the flange is the wrong side of the "back plate" where you can access the...
1
1

Calorific Value on bills - gas
I thought there was a legal requirement for the CV, on which they calculate the Kw and hence the cost - to be indicated on the fuel bill?
12
12

Drill holes in copper cylinder pipes so rayburn will work?
I have test fitted the new copper cylinder, but water doesn't get to the rayburn as the bottom coil isnt connected to the main water in t #he cylinder. Looking in my old cylinder I see holes in the...
25
25

Velux roof window
Building control are stressing about the lack of a protected exit from a bedroom in the chalet bungalow. One way out:-) would be a top hung roof light. Marley concrete tiles. Anyone done one? Any...
26
26

OT: Unicorns WTF
Today just as the ferry was about to enter Calais Port there was an announcement on the Tannoy: "A unicorn has been discovered in the passenger lounge, would the owner please come and collect it." I...
8
8

Life of 'Push Fit' plumbing - for waste.
I've always favoured solvent weld waste for plumbing the waste from sinks, showers, bathes etc, especially in areas you can't later get to (under the floor, behind panels etc). Obviously, you need to...
8
8

Carpet fitter - street wide
A Neighbour has had carpet fitters in. Keeping in mind it is a through road with regular traffic, said fitters have laid a PVC sheet across the entire width of the street, on which to drag out the...
14
14

Electric vehicle teardown
I know not everyone is interested in owning an EV, I'm not yet, but interesting to look at a series of teardown videos for a Chevy Bolt EV (aka Opal Ampera-e) <>This car seems better equipped to cope...
4
4

Faulty Dehumidifier
Hi my dehumidifier is displaying -9 and not absorbing water can anyone help?
5
5

Re: Formula for teak oil
Back in my High School days about 1973 my woodwork teacher told us about overpriced Teak Oil and gave us his recipe which worked well. I think I've also made it with PolyUrethane instead of Varnish...
10
10

What is inside an LED "starter"
Those fake starters people put into fluorescent fittings when they put in an LED tube.... what's inside? An LED tube draws power from the two ends, I looked inside one of my tubes and the two pins at...
3
3

Do switch mode power supplies flicker in time with mains?
Do switch mode power supplies flicker in time with mains? Specifically LED power supplies in commercially available domestic lamps. By in time, I don't mean at the same 50/60Hz, but anchored to it....
23
23