Subject Author Posted Replies

OT(ish) - scales measuring body fat percentage
Allegedly a current is passed up one leg and down the other and the speed of transmission indicates your percentage of body fat. I would expect the current to take the shortest route - that is, up one...
7
7

Electric backbox and dry lining box dimensions?
I'm about to fit a double electrical socket to a plasterboard wall to replace the present single socket. The double socket instructions state that I should use a 25mm backbox. Because the wall is...
3
3

Fire escape questions
Wanting to add external access to upstairs (retail property) and been quoted £5k for an external metal staircase, fitted. Is that normal/reasonable? Has anyone any experience of a timber alternative?...
7
7

OT: Scottish Pumped Snake Oil, or does it make sense ?
I noticed this link on Investors Chronicle, to an article about a massive pumped storage proposal :- Oil or more sensible than the now aborted Baglan Bay barrier proposal in Wales ?. Andrew
10
10

Granny charger....
That is the outside sockets fixed to the wall in preparation for the granny charger ...
4
4

Combination microwave/oven repair
The microwave part of our oven has stopped working, though the electric oven and grill work normally. Will the magnetron or its control board be likely to have fuse separate from the main fuse? Or is...
34
34

Gridwatch and power generation today
Today is an example of the case against relying too much on renewables. Winter, so cold. Blocking high over the UK, so little wind. Grey skies over the UK, so little sun. Looking at Gridwatch we are...
74
74

Intermittent low water pressure
I had a shower mid morning today, and after applying shampoo, the shower stopped, barely a drip. I waited, and was just about to drip and slide my way to the bathroom on the floor below, when the...
8
8

OT Asylum support
's not half bad for a load of peasants who can't govern their self inflicted toilet of a nation. I have sat in very crowded hospital waiting rooms for ages with my wife. I've watched doctors,...
9
9

Transfer from video (tape) camera to PC via USB
Dug out an old Panasonic video tape camera, and found a tape with nearly an hour of film that has never been transferred to a PC. Current PC is a laptop, the only connection being USB. Played the tape...
12
12

OT Horrible Nuts
I absolutely love chomping on nuts. Many years ago, you could buy them and they would be fresh, in their shells and fit to eat, but over the last few years, no matter what the source, in their shells...
62
62

Recommendations for indoor paint?
The woodwork inside our house needs repainting -- we've been in the house over 30 years, and I've only spasmodically repainted the woodwork in bits and pieces. Some of it has never been painted since...
11
11

Bluetooth help please
I am getting a hearing aid that is Bluetooth enabled. However I need a telephone that will link to it, that is where I get confused. The phones that I have looked at talk about linking into...
16
16

Re: overpainting metal bed frame
In that case, I suggest one of these: Corrected the group for you. :) https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8542199 Buy Argos Home Avalon Single Metal Bed Frame - Black at Argos. Thousands of products for...
8
8

Overpainting metral bed frame
I have a black metal bedframe a lot like this one my new house it really needs to be white. How do I need to prepare the surface to achieve that and then when I've done that, do I just spray it with...
8
8