Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: Schuko sockets (again)
I had an electrician install a double Schuko socket. Each socket had its own terminals (live - neutral - earth) and the electrician bridged each pair. Our double sockets only have one connection to...
55
55

Mix and match parts from two near-identical netbooks?
I have two HP minis: one is a HP2133 and the other is it's near-identical relative the HP2140. They are a bit elderly but both built like tanks with the same aluminium shell and a magnesium chassis...
10
10

Valliant Turbomax Plus 828E - Fault Code Intermittent F.22 (Fix)
My trusty boiler that received a massive overhaul just 12 months ago with pretty much everything but the fan and PCB being replaced started playing up with F.22 (low system water pressure) leaving us...
3
3

Connecting to copper waste pipe
My son is renovating a 1960s bathroom. The soil pipe is steel (easily connected to plastic with a rubber adapter) but I can't see how to connect to the copper waste pipe. The waste has an O/D of 41mm...
10
10

Smoke from neigjbours in semi detached jouse
Smoke coming into my bedroom from next door neighbours. Seems to be coming through up through floor. I have managed to foam fill and caulk behind cupboards and they are smoke free but rest of the room...
11
11

OT Benefits of WTO/no deal
(Lilley's report.) https://globalbritain.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/GBLL-paper-30-Truths-Final-05.01.19.pdf...
13
13

Computer Bluetooth question
I hope this qualifies as DIY as I am hoping to do the job myself! I have a new Fitbit, which I cannot pair with my PC (it works fine with my iPad). The message is that I need to turn on Bluetooth....
28
28

Log burning boiler - How much!!!
Friend is converting an old mill in east Staffordshire and wants to install a log burning boiler for central heating. He's been quoted £10,000 to install the boiler. He's done all the plumbing but we...
20
20

Buiding a desktop PC.
I rather fancy having a PC integrated to the main Hi-Fi etc system. Mainly to download/store music etc files. Got a fair bit of space for it, so even an older case size would be fine - but flat rather...
14
14

Totally OT - trains Euston to Livepool Lime Street
Using my usual National Rail journey planner it shows a direct service all day from Euston to Lime Street, but in the opposite direction all services change at Crewe. I am wondering WTF? Unless it is...
4
4

Hot water puzzle.
System Description ================== Mains pressurised DHW tank, fed via an ion exchange water softener. heated by immersion and oil CH system boiler. May have been messed aroound with by ex wife's...
10
10

Smart Meters overreading
From another newsgroup... Rob 22:16 (34 minutes ago) - show quoted text - It may matter. When the current is far from sinusoidal, the computed power may be much more when the calculation is not done...
11
11

Rant about LED floodlights
I used to use halogen floodlights with either 300 W or 500 W tubes. Dead simple to install and maintain. The cable entry point was always at the bottom so rain ingress was *never* a problem. Tube...
28
28

Well OT you have been warned
6 min 44 seconds
18
18

Xpost - back up an android phone, reformat SD card then restore?
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 which is out of space; no doubt creeping bit rot and cruft. I have moved data (from any application which allows it) to the SD card, so I don't have the space to move it...
15
15