Subject Author Posted Replies

min max thermometer
Mercury has split and vigourous shaking is not effective. Any other solutions ?
22
22

Air lock ?
After several months away I find that there is no cold water in my shower. The hot water is fine. The shower has a thermostatic mixer. When I open the water, only hot water comes out. The shower is...
9
9

OT "Fridgemaster" Brand
Hisense have been around for a while as a brand of cheap Android tablets.
9
9

Another bloody mouse
This follows on from a post I made back in November, whereby I found evidence of a mouse in my loft, which was duly trapped and disposed of. After about a week I hadn't caught anything else, so...
5
5

Cleaning alcohol
Can white spirit be used to clean tiles where alcohol is specified. It is to fit Command hanging hooks which specify clean with alcohol .
35
35

FAO - John Rumm - Heating temperature split, Vaillant
I have managed to put in a successful bid on a new VR65 at a good price. I am also bidding on a new VRC 470/4 - no idea what the /4 might mean. I messaged Vaillant to ask if the VR65 alone might...
18
18

Central Heating not working (update)
Further to my earlier post see below... You may recall that my old (external) condensate pump appeared to have developed an electrical problem where it would cut out whenever there was a demand for...
9
9

OT Another failing vanity project.
Last night one campaigner warned that it is ‘quite conceivable’ that some journeys to Birmingham, West Midlands on the high-speed line may be slower than at the moment. Last night one campaigner...

What's this lightbulb?
I bought a lightbulb (and a ceramic holder and rotary lightswitch) in a second-hand shop yesterday. They had many beautiful items taken from an old electronics teaching laboratory - all brass, steel,...
27
27

OT Air pollution
Environment Secretary Michael Gove said the Government wanted to reduce particulate emissions in the UK by 30 per cent by 2020, and by 46 per cent by 2030. Environment Secretary Michael Gove said the...
2
2

Multitool blades for sinking back boxes and cutting chases?
I need to sink some boxes and cut a few chases in a plastered, solid, wall. Previously, in modern houses, I've used a bolster, SDS chisel and drill but this house has lime plaster which is very easy...
6
6

Which trustedtraders
as in: now see that there's an advert for Trust A Trader when they say it fast, sounds the same Oops Anyway, just how many of these Trader schemes do we need? tim
10
10

Repairing a corrugated asbestos-cement roof
I have a large shed (far too large to consider re-roofing) which has a corrugated asbestos-cement roof that probably dates from the 60s. It's in quite good condition but there are a couple of cracks...
16
16

OT - Amazon Prime grumble - next day delivery?
Up to know I have generally been impressed with Amazon Prime, but recently the "next day delivery" isn't. For example (see other thread) I've just ordered a phone with Prime delivery and it isn't due...
8
8

Internal damp on gable end wall
I have a middle floor flat in a block of six,on a gable end the kitchen was decorated about 8 months ago.we now have signs of damp for about 4 foot along the wall rising from the skirting showing...
5
5