Subject Author Posted Replies

Dry Walling advice
I am in the process of dry walling my mancave. So far I have taped all the joints and applied a second layer on all the joints with a curved trowel. I have noticed that the second coat has brought up...
2
2

moving house
"He can't move the motorway, but he can move the cottage." Work to improve a short section of the A1 road between London to Edinburgh means that a 17th century cottage in Digswell Hill, Hertfordshire...
2
2

Adhesive
A few weeks ago I sought advice on this NG about affixing plinths to the underside of IKEA sideboards. The general view was to use an adhesive, avoiding unsighhtly screwheads. I decided to fix some 43...
13
13

OT(ish) - weather - central heating still on
With the days allegedly not getting higher than 14C on the East Coast (and everywhere being pretty chilly anyway) we find that we need to keep the CH on to maintain a reasonable (for us) temperature....
33
33

Portable air tank for workshop use?
I've been wondering about buying a small compressor to blow sawdust and other crud out of some machines, but haven't found one that's suitable. It's just occurred that, because I need so little air,...
17
17

Vaillant ecoTEC Pro 28 Expansion Vessel Pressure
I've an old (2010ish) Vaillant ecoTEC Pro 28 combi boiler much the same as the one in this video: the heating's on the system pressure rises and it cuts out after about 5 minutes. Also, there's a...
8
8

A tasty bean soup with ham.
I thought some may enjoy this Ingredients 1 (16 ounce) package dried navy beans 7 cups water 1 ham bone 2 cups diced ham ¼ cup minced onion ½ teaspoon salt 1 pinch ground black pepper 1 bay leaf ½...
38
38

Clock Repairs
The escapements for carriage clocks is covered in ... Practical Clock Repairing By Donald De Carle ISBN 978 0 7198 0000 9 has one in stock (so hurry up!) for £16-59p De Carle is IMHO more readable...

Electrical - Removing the Company Fuse
Greetings, gentlemen, I was jet washing the motor today when all of a sudden, the power cut out. A few cursory checks revealed the culprit to be the main RCD next to the electricity meter. It's been a...
44
44

Does anyone know what these 'springs' are called?
https://ibb.co/LCVT784https://ibb.co/pwq9ZRy https://ibb.co/LCVT784https://ibb.co/pwq9ZRy
11
11

Smart meter saga - part 2
UK Power turned up at 8 this morning, took a look at the header, and said they would need to dig up the cable to cut the power. But, that's a job for another day! I managed to persuade them to dig the...
6
6

Solar panels with storage battery - some questions
We are considering investing some money in solar panels for our house. We'd probably go for a setup with a backup battery so electricity produced during the day can be used in the evening. I've got...
32
32

Large cities sinking...
New York’s a Lot Like Venice. It’s Sinking. By James Barron, May 23, 2023, New York Times Maybe you have had that sinking feeling lately. A recently published scientific paper suggested that all...
10
10

Removing WC/washing machine drain
Just moved into a new place and getting the measure of the the jobs ;-) One thing to do is site the washing machine in the outside toilet space. This'll involve removing the old (disgusting) toilet,...
11
11

Clock repairs
I have quite a modern clockwork clock that runs for a bit, and then it stops. It probably needs a clean and lubrication. I am being quoted £150+ to take it apart and do this properly. The clock cost...
40
40