Subject Author Posted Replies

TOT car insurance
I received the renewal quote for my car insurance today and went on line to find that I can get equivalent for approx 25% less from more than one well known name insurers. Approx 33% less if I accept...
6
6

Old hardware store
I know it well! One of my kids (and two grandchildren) live in Fleet. Every time I go there I feel tempted to ask "Has Mr Gabriel been in today?".
15
15

Number of mains sockets behind a TV?
In article writes: There's a good wiring regulation in many of the US states. You must be able to plug in an appliance positioned anywhere around the edge of the room...
24
24

3D Printer specifications
I am considering getting a 3D printer later this year after reading a review for a sub £200 one in a magazine I subscribe as well as noting Aldi had a sub £300 one on sale recently. I am a bit...
7
7

Pine Floorboards Finishing
In my opinion pine aquires a nice rich colour as it ages over the years. I thought people stained pine to make it look like old pine, and the orange colours I have seen are the result of stains and...
5
5

ch expansion vessels
I have a condensing system boiler. Last winter I noticed that it seemed to need the pressure topping up regularly, but no leaks were detectable. During the summer, where it was still in use to heat my...
12
12

A cup of tea
I was told to help myself to tea and coffee when working in a pub kitchen. It did not take me long to realise that it was a teaspoon of salt I had put into the coffee.
22
22

W10 laptop freezing.
It began over a week ago, just freezing. Mouse-pad didn't respond, keyboard didn't respond, no movement on the screen, but the screen remained frozen. It progressed and got worse, to the point where...
16
16

Washing machine (further domestic woes)
In article Scott snipped-for-privacy@gefiThere can be a lot of vibration forces when it's spinning, and I guess they're worried about it falling off. I had a washing machine in a kitchen with a...
19
19

All your fears about Smart meters confirmed
michael adams brought next idea : A good point indeed. Much less granular that denying supplies to whole areas during shortages.
66
66

8U 19" Rack table top cabinet wanted
Not quite DIY but lots of technical people on this forum. I'm looking for a table top 19" cabinet with '8U' of height = 14" (I'm adding an RA137A L/F converter to my RA17 communications receiver so...
23
23

Win XP
Been assembling a desktop PC - really just to use for storing AV files - as part of my AV setup. Only needs to work with an HD TV as monitor. Have a suitable sound card with phono outputs which will...
34
34

Post rammer versus maul
A group of voluteers I work with have a post bashing hammer/maul (a sledgehammer with a big wide face) for banging in posts (usually 3"*3"). To use this well, and safely, takes quite a lot of strength...
20
20

Best lubricant for steel hinges?
I am forever lubricating my hinges, however it does not last long. what is the best lubricant for a long term effect please?
12
12

Outdoor wood paint recommendations wanted
We have a new wooden Summer House to paint. I have a recommendation from the chap who built it for us of "Sadolin Superdec Satin", is this actually any better than Screwfix No Nonsense Garden Colour...