Subject Author Posted Replies

Does a CU on a sub-main need an integral isolator switch?
A situation that I can't found an answer to ... There is a DP isolator before the main CU (which has an isolator). This CU will be fitted with a 50A MCB feeding a 20m sub-main to a second CU elsewhere...
15
15

OT: Recommendations for alloy wheel cleaner
Last few times I have washed the car I have noticed some rather difficult to remove black deposits on the front alloy wheels it looks like tar but tar remover does not do the trick. The wheels have a...
3
3

Vans that can take a 8ft x 4ft sheet
I've been looking at some vans, the criteria is it must be able to take a 8ft x 4ft sheet. I'm looking at nominally 3 years old. The ideal is a Ford Transit Custom. The SWB (L1) seems a bit short to...
7
7

which new washing machine-to DIY instead of dumping when it breaks.
Our Hotpoint sometimes jumps forward 4 or 5" after bouncing off the wall and the tumble dryer when a spin starts. Last year a drum support spring snapped. Easily replaced and not expensive. So far it...
85
85

Electrical advice: Washing machine tripping RCD
Out of the blue, my faithfull old Hoover washer tripped the RCD on my consumer unit. After reset, it'll stay untripped when the machine is powered on at the socket, but as soon as I turn the control...
46
46

fischertechnic
Anyone aware of childrens building systems by them. (Modern version of Meccano - but much better). I'm interested if anyone knows anything about a relay: em10 with details in English. Or any...
17
17

Diamond grit sharpening stones
Hello all. I'm after a diamond grit sharpening stone. I intend to use it for general purpose sharpening, as well as flattening my Jap water stones. I notice that "DMT DiaSharp" seems to be a premium...
3
3

RIP: David Peacock FIET
Just seen in another place; I don't think it's been mentioned here: members may be aware of his efforts to improve general and domestic electrical safety through his extremely thoroughly researched...
58
58

Re-oiling worktop
have a wood (American Walnut) worktop. It's been used in the kitchen for some, and some places are in need of refinishing. Fairly sure I've got something basic wrong here, so I'll describe what I did....
3
3

OT: Mummy Mummy look! No renewable energy!
http://gridwatch.templar.co.uk/adverts/barchart-advert.png http://gridwatch.templar.co.uk/adverts/barchart-advert.png
3
3

Bosch fridge too warm
After a house move, my Bosch upright fridge/freezer has a problem in that the upper fridge compartment is at room temperature, but the lower freezer bit is at a normal minus 22C. Any ideas as to what...
8
8

System boiler or conventional when replacing combi
Large extension added to my 3 bed property. Combi has been a pain in the arse and now won't cut it with 2 main bathrooms. My question is should I go for a system boiler with an unvented cylinder or...
15
15

Repairing Bakelite
Anyone experience of repairing Bakelite? I have a piece about 7 inches square which has snapped in half. Thickness about 1/12 of an inch. Plan is to glue the two edges and hold together, then add a...
21
21

Disposal of roofing felt
This isn't strictly about DIY but here goes. A contractor has quoted me a large figure for the job of replacing the currently felt-covered flat roof over my garage and part of the house, to include...
44
44

Buy Steel house or not?
Longtime lurker, first time poster. I am considering buying a Semi-detached Trusteel Mk2 bungalow. It is the perfect location and ticks a lot of boxes for us. For a family home, and with a view for...
7
7