6x50W or 9x35W

Having bought 6 x 50W LV halogen downlighters, bulbs and 2 x 150W transformers I have had second thoughts.

Should I have gone for 9x35W giving a total of 315W. Obviously more work and more expensive but maybe it would give me a more even coverage of light.

This is in a 3x3 metre kitchen by the way.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gardener

6 X 50W lamps in a space that size will surely be enough. If the lamps are Dychroic Diffusers, then the light is spread around really well, so the light is bright enough to work in, but subtle enough to create a nice comfortable mood.

But I'd have personally gone for heavier trannies though.

Reply to
BigWallop

I think that what you've got will be fine. There are 3 x 50w downlighters in this room now (together with other lights), and the effect from them is quite nice; even on the worksurfaces, but kind of cone-shaped on the walls. If that's not an effect you like, you probably don't want halogens at all :-).

Ben.

Reply to
ben

One seems to have miscalculated on the transformers.300W ok for tungsten filament lamps but for Halogen you need 400.

Reply to
Boz

No according to the transformer instructions:

Skot model: T150 Minimum lamp load: 50W Maximum lamp load 150W Number of lamps: One or more lamps up to maximum loading

Seems fine for my use, 3 lamps per transformer, 50w per lamp, 150w per transformer.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gardener

I agree, although as far as the walls concerned it is a good move to temporarily rig up a light as close to the intended position as possible and to check that you are happy with the appearance and condition of the wall.

Having the light arriving at such an oblique angle will throw into relief any imperfections. If the wall is meant to appear smooth in the context of the rest of the room, then it really needs to be so - equally, if the intention is that the wall should appear to be more uneven then it may need to be made deliberately more uneven to look right.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

First of all standardise if you can so you don't need to carry extra spares.

Secondly, 50W bulbs are a bit more robust than 35W. I suspect you have the right choice.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher