6V 55W Q/H bulbs

Page 1 of 2
I've got one of those rechargeable torches, like this;
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts 868&p=tx3&id067
But the bulb's gone. Anyone know where I can get another?
On 1 Oct 2003 12:09:35 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

Google search for "6V 55W bulb" in the UK turned up a few possibilities. You'll need to identify the bulb base to be sure, but is it one of these:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/?userid=SearchEngine&targetmodule3680
This lot seem to have lost their spares page for this light:
http://www.nightsearcher.co.uk/order/item9.htm http://www.nightsearcher.co.uk/order/cat8_1.htm
I know you hate Winblows, but the Google toolbar add-on for IE is something I would not be without.
--
John
Mail john rather than nospam...

Close, but no cee-gar. The one in the torch has a base similar to this, but with a single wire attached to one side, terminated in a Lucar connector.
Anyhow, it's more complicated (isn't everything?). The bulb tests OK, it just doesn't work, even when connected directly to the battery.

Mozilla has it built in...
snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) writes:

Bingo.
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk/VWPweb2000/lights-3/photo/H3.jpg
On 1 Oct 2003 14:04:29 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

Weird !
--
John
Mail john rather than nospam...

Why, thank you.

They used to be available from Halfords for an amusing price. I have one of the rechargeable handheld spots that uses the same bulb. If you paid more than a fiver for the torch they saw you coming, but Halfords wanted 6 for a bulb. So I took the torch back when the bulb went and the nice man at customer service gave me a brand new torch.
--
Mathematicians, please don't drink and derive.

snipped-for-privacy@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) writes:

Naah, it's the battery. Only Oct 1st and I win "twonk of the month". (Thanks, John. I'll get you!) I only paid 4.99 for the torch in Robert Dyas. I'll throw it away and get another (better) one.
On 1 Oct 2003 22:47:53 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

Coming soon to an Ebay auction near you: 6V 55W halogen bulbs, single wire attached. Quantity 2. Reserve - 20.
I'll keep schtum about the current bathroom floor project. Suffice to say, words like "self-", "adhesive", "contact", and "instant" really have been deprecated in the English language. Except where skin is concerned... Anyone want 45 vinyl tiles, hardly used, curling slightly at edges ?
--
John
Mail john rather than nospam...
Hi John Laird In you wrote:

BTDTBTT ;-)
--
Fishter
unhook to mail me | http://www.fishter.org.uk /

There is possible light at the end of the tunnel (unless it is the light of an oncoming freight train, of course) - some of the little buggers look like they might be succumbing to gravity. Much of the glue still seems to think "adhesive" means "sticky, but not intending to actually set". Ho hum.
--
After things go from bad to worse, the cycle will repeat itself.

Mail john rather than nospam...
Hi John Laird In you wrote:

You'll also discover, in about 5yrs time, that the adhesive has become the stickiest, yet most mobile substance known to man. It even beats marmalade. White spirit was quite effective in dissolving it.
--
Fishter
unhook to mail me | http://www.fishter.org.uk /

There's a hardboard underlay. If it all goes wonky, I'll simply rip that up and ponder long and hard on what to do with the uneven floorboards. New boards would be the obvious answer, but there is a toilet, basin, bath, HW cylinder, airing cupboard supports, two rad pipes and three more water pipes all to consider...
--
Mail john rather than nospam...

[21 lines snipped]

Which will become quite attractive during the 5 or 6 years you're thinking about it.
(Our main bathroom, aka "the vile bathroom" still has bare boards and the charming cranberry coloured suite it had when we moved in. 11 years ago. Since we have an en-suite (which I refitted yonks ago) and no-one else lives here, we've never much bothered about it.)

And will be a charming period feature when you come to sell.

I'm not sure I shall live long enough for cranberry suites to come back into fashion.

Which side did you use of the hardboard? I used the shiney side against advice and some self adhesive tiles lasted until they wore through.
--
*I don't have a license to kill, but I do have a learner's permit.

(coughs)
Well, the hardboard was already down under a carpet. So shiny side down as you say, which is the usual recommendation - it's certainly much easier to pin that way. I sealed it with some diluted PVA and figured there was certainly enough high ground for the adhesive to stick to.
I came to the conclusion that self-adhesive is a term well up there with ready-pasted. I.e. best avoided. That said, I had a go with some edge tiles using liquid contact adhesive - could only lay 3 or 4 before having to clear the room and breathe some fresh air for 15 minutes or so. Ugh.
--
John
Mail john rather than nospam...

*grin* The thought did occur.

*laugh*

If you still have access to Makro, they have a very nice one on sale at the moment. Much bigger, I think it's a 12V unit and can also be used as emergency room lighting. Sort of cone shaped with a pistol grip that unfolds from the body, stand it lens down and slide a cover and it turns into a 60W desk lamp sort of thing.
--
Mathematicians, please don't drink and derive.