6mmsq electrical cable rating

Renewing cooker cable - les than 5m run from CU to the cooker (45A) outlet - run from a 45A MCB type 2.

This will be clipped direct to joists (1.5m) then buried in cement/lime/sand plaster on a brick wall. According to IEE regs this is installation method 1 + method 2, so cable rating ref method 1 applies.

IEE Table 4D5A shows 6mmsq cable has a max rating 47A for ref method

  1. The voltage drop is 7.3mV/A/m x 5m x 45A = 1.64V or 0.7%. Apparently OK so far.

But then a check on IEE On-Site Guide table 7.1 (conventional circuits) shows a 45A radial circuit needing a 10mmsq cable. In fact the highest rating table 7.1 can offer for 6mmsq is a 32A radial circuit. Which rules out my 6mmsq cable.

Am I missing something?

I can see that 6mmsq would have the draw back of being run near its limit, which is rarely a good thing engineering-wise, but that doesn't explain why table 7.1 doesn't feature it.

Any comments appreciated.

TIA

Reply to
jim_in_sussex

Not sure about why the difference, but I would run it in 10mm.

Also, why not put a nice bit of conduit in there for any future cables/services you might want to run once the concrete is in?

Rob

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply

Reply to
Kalico

Yes, all OK so far.

OSG Table 7.1 is provided for convenience; the non-appearance of 6mm^2 cable on a 45A circuit in this table doesn't /necessarily/ rule out its use, but...

Yes - two things: (1) CPC sizing, (2) use of rewireable fuses in circuits liable to overload.

  1. CPC sizing. As with all twin-and-earth cables 1.5 mm^2 and greater, the CPC is smaller then the L & N conductors so reg. 543-01-04 and Table 54G cannot be applied. Therefore you have to 'size' the CPC according to reg.
543-01-03. This requires knowledge of the fault level and disconnection time, which in turn requires knowledge of the installation earthing (TN-S or TN-C-S) and the type of overcurrent protective device for the circuit.
  1. Rewireable fuse. If the overcurrent device is a 45A rewireable fuse and the circuit is liable to overload - most free-standing cookers draw ~12kW flat out, so this doies apply - then the cable rating required is 45A/0.725 , which is 62A. 10mm^2 is again required if 'clipped direct' conditions apply, or 16mm^2 if not...!

Having said all that, the question we should actually be asking is does your cooker really need a 45A circuit? The usual diversity rule for a domestic cooker is 10A + 30% of remainder of FLC. For a 12kW cooker on 230V the FLC will be 52A. Therefore the circuit design current is 10 + 0.3 * 42 A = 23 A. A 32 A circuit will be fine and you can use the 6mm^2 cable (within the limits listed in OSG Table 7.1).

HTH

Reply to
Andy Wade