Subject Author Posted Replies

Building Quote abbreviation PC SUM?
I have a builders quote for various minor works Most of the items are £YYY +VAT But replacing some rotten wood in a car port is priced as £XXX +VAT-PC SUM in this context what is PC SUM? There is an...
6
6

Hot water from combi boiler question
Is the water from the hot taps served by a combi regarded as potable? What makes it so cloudy? The cloudiness disappears when left to stand.
2
2

Adding water to expanding foam
I seem to be using expanding foam more and more ever since I bought a gun applicator now that I can actually control the stuff and don't need to use it all up in one session. I always read...
2
2

Harold “Doc” Edgerton was a pioneer in science and photography.
Harold ?Doc? Edgerton was a pioneer in science and photography. His combination of art and technology straddled both worlds during the twentieth century. During his long, illustrious career he...

The smoot is a nonstandard unit of length...
The smoot is a nonstandard unit of length created as part of an MIT fraternity prank. It is named after Oliver R. Smoot, a fraternity pledge to Lambda Chi Alpha, who in October 1958 lay down...
15
15

Weird local builders
A drive is being completely relaid locally in a snakes and ladders manner. There's a concrete base already there. The builders laid down grids of rebar on top of one bit of it, shuttered that bit,...
3
3

RCBO question
Not my finest moment, but I was carrying out a minor electrical job. As I was wiping up the dust with a damp cloth, I came into contact with a live part of a different circuit that I did not know...
13
13

Running cables from CU into trunking
I am running 50mm X 50mm plastic trunking round the perimeter of garage at ceiling level and planning to drop conduit down to switches and sockets. How do I feed cables from the CU into the trunking...
8
8

Genuine Philips repair manuals.
I've got a few workshop (repair) manuals bought from Philips for various things I once owned. All 20 plus years old. Would be a shame to simply junk them, so any suggestions who could make use of...
8
8

Mini tesla coil
Built one of these. Seemed like a good idea at the time. or makes pretty blue sparks, I can play music through it very faintly and I can burn finger flesh. Any suggestions for other uses (or is that...
10
10

100mA RCD + RCBO
The CU is a Wylex from the early '90s ('91 - 2 IIRC). All MCB, 30mA RCD on rings, cooker, shower etc. and 100mA on lighting circuits. As I'd need 30mA on the lights for the fitting in the bathroom I...
12
12

IP 44 light fitting a bit broken
Just went to put a fitting in the bathroom - it's IP44, Class 1, pull switch, to go into Zone 2 (more on this in another thread). The glass cover is a bit broken and that protects the lamp from below....
5
5

Just replaced bath tap valve, but old cap won't fit over splines
I've measured the diameter of the splined end, old and new and they are practically identical. I haven't counted the splines yet. Maybe they're wider on the new valve. Any trick I could use to get the...
17
17

moth balls
Are they really effective at controlling rust on tools ?
6
6

Double-Headed Handheld Metal Drilling Tool?
Opening Youtube today, I caught this commercial for an advertised £23. Double-Headed Handheld Metal Driiling Tools Power Tool around eBay and other suspects by using the words as search terms, I see...
5
5